Chapter III

Mira opened her eyes and looked around. She was lying in a pristine white bed which was surrounded by multiple people she had never seen before. She tried sitting up but the stinging pain in the back of her head made her fall back down.

"Miss Fader, was it?" the doctor inquired, looking through her file.

"Yes, but-"

"It seems you have suffered a hit in the head."

"What? I mean it does explain why my head hurts so much, but I don't remember being in any kind of fight!"

After her words, the doctors and nurses just glanced at each other and continued.

"You weren't in a fight, Miss Fader. We believe you may have been attacked."

"I was at school, who and why would anyone even want to attack me there?" Mira replied, rubbing her face in confusion.

"Wait, did you say you were at school? What were you doing there?"

"What do you mean what was I doing there? I was learning of course. We had Mrs. Muth's history lesson and then..." Mira froze, dazed.

"And then what, Miss Fader?"

"I- I don't... I was sitting in class and then... Did I fall asleep? No, not during Muth's class I wouldn't... What did I-?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't remember! I don't remember what happened in the class! I can't even remember how it ended, it's just... blank." Mira answered, waving her hands in confusion. In reply to that, the doctors just sighed. Without even saying a word to each other, they left the room, leaving Mira alone.

"Where are my daughters? I demand to see my daughters!" A man yelled out as he waltzed in through the main door of the hospital. His clothes were messy and covered in dirt, while his hair looked even more gray than before, with dust and ashes covering the top. He looked around for a moment and saw a few doctors standing and chatting. He ran to them. "Where are my daughters?" He shouted out, but the women responded with shrugs. Glazed, the man ran to a few nurses, but they had the same response. Finally, he saw a few doctors and nurses leave a room and jumped towards them. "Have you, uh, have you seen my daughters?" he asked, out of breath. "I'm Fader, Emerson Fader, and my daughters, Mira and Terra, I was told I need to come here for them, do you, by chance, know where they are?"

The doctors looked at each other and one of them stepped forward.

"Hello Mr. Fader, could I call you Emerson? Yes? Okay, well Emerson, I'm Dr. Carl Newfield, but how about we go to my office first and we'll talk about everything there, alright?" Carl inquired and Emerson, although hesitantly, nodded. They entered a room right next to the one they were just in and closed the door behind them.

Mira sat up in her bed. She heard faint chatter outside her ward. She looked around, but the room looked extremely boring - snow white walls, light grey tiled floors... There were 3 other beds in the room, but all the of them were empty. "Well that's not really surprising," she thought to herself, "barely anyone has the money to even get treated at a hospital." Mira froze for a moment. "This will cost my dad a fortune! How in the world will we be able to get food?" she quietly shouted and then immediately put her palm on her mouth. "I'll have to get a job. No way am I letting Terra starve, that's not going to happen." she whispered to herself when she heard a loud voice coming from the hallway.

"YOU'RE TELLING ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS IS DEAD WHILE THE OTHER IS AN AMNESIAC? WHO DO YOU TAKE ME FOR? IS THIS SOME GOVERNMENT OPERATED BULLSHIT? FIRST YOU TAKE AWAY MY WIFE AND NOW MY DAUGHTERS?"