Baneberry Potion

"Apologize" he demanded, dragging the two Slytherin boys in front of you. You raised your head slowly to look at him in surprise. In all your five years at Hogwarts you had always thought of him as the emotionless, cold-hearted professor with the handsome face. You didn't expect him to act for a student who wasn't in his own house.

The boys, Gregory Pomfich and Derrik Corrigain, exchanged a look before looking down at their feet and mumbling, "Sorry, (f/n), for spiking your pumpkin juice with a Baneberry potion."

Professor Snape stared at the back of their heads for a moment and pushed them out of the infirmary, barely satisfied with the apology. He turned back towards you and grabbed a glass off of the bedside table. Seeing that there was still some liquid left he held it out in front of you.

"Drink," he said. You loosely held the glass in your hands and stared down at the thick, dark liquid coating the bottom. Grimacing, you quickly tipped the rest of its contents into your mouth and swallowed before hacking as the bitter liquid burned the back of your throat.

Seeing that you'd finished the potion, Professor Snape took a bottle out from his robes and poured another potion into the glass. You stared in horror at the concoction. Just now you had barely managed to get down a teaspoon of that horrid stuff after having suffered through it yesterday. You did not want to take another sip of that stuff.

Putting on the best smile you could manage you lifted up an arm and put your hand on your bicep and attempted to say, "no need for that. I'm fine, see?" But you only managed to get half of it out as you grasp your stomach in pain. You weren't better, you knew that. But you really didn't want to drink any more of that disgusting potion.

Professor Snape looked at you for a second before repeating his words, "drink". You raised your head to look at him, eyes pleading, but he just gave you the same cold stare. You begrudgingly raised the glass to your lips and closed your eyes tight before chugging it down. Surprisingly, it went down easily and cool, smooth liquid soothed your raw throat. You quickly looked up at the professor, shock evident on your face. "It's sweet!" You exclaimed.

Professor Snape only looked towards a box of tea bags on the bedside table that your friends had left you. "An Antidote to Common Poisons cut with Peachtree Fizzing Tea" he replied, "I assumed you liked it since it was a get-well gift."

"It's my favorite, thank you, Sir!" It really did help. If only he could have told you beforehand, maybe you could have savored it then; the taste wasn't all that bad. Maybe he just enjoys watching his students suffer. You thought to yourself. But then, wouldn't he have just given me what I had last night? Before you could work it out, Professor Snape interrupted your thoughts.

"I am also here, Miss (l/n), to inform you that you will have to be held back a year because you did not take your O.W.L.s" The smile left your face as you heard this. Because those two tricksters from Slytherin had made you drink a Baneberry potion, you fell ill and were unconscious for a few days. Unfortunately, your O.W.L.s were the day before yesterday at which time you had not yet woken up.

The other day when you were half awake and still foggy headed you had heard some of the teachers discussing this as they stood over you. The ministry was very clear that exams had to be taken on the set date and there were to be no exceptions. If you were ill, too bad. You'd have to take it next year.

Sighing, you replied, "I know, but at least that'll give me time to get a hang of brewing the Draught of Peace that I couldn't get right this year," managing to put a slight smile on your face.

Professor Snape simply turned to leave the room. As he reached the door he glanced back and said, "I'll see you next year, Miss (l/n).