Snapping Geraniums

A collection of shouts and jeers almost made you drop the young Screechsnap you were handling. You repotted it carefully before turning to look and see what the commotion was on the other side of the greenhouse. A boy from one of the other houses had been fooling around and goading the Snapping Geraniums. He ended up with a nasty bite, unable to get his hand away fast enough when it lunged at him. Trying to pull his hand out of its fangs didn't do much to help either, you thought as you looked at the messy scene.

Professor Sprout had quickly gone over to free his hand but the damage had already been done. She turned and waved you over. "(Y/l/n), be a dear and send him to Madam Pomfrey would you? Let her know that he was bitten by a Snapping Geranium." She asked you, pushing him towards you before chiding, "now when you get back you're going to explain how this happened. They don't attack for no good reason so don't go trying to lie to me. Off you go now." She pushed you both towards the door and you led him to Hospital Wing stifling your laughter.

Madam Pomfrey immediately took him over from you and began her check up, berating him as she did so. His face kept turning redder and redder from the embarrassment and you had to face the other way to hide your laughter, your shoulders shaking. Once she had finished she wrote some things down on a piece of paper before handing it to you. "I'm running low on some things. Go fetch these from Professor Snape from me. Be quick about it, don't want to keep the boy in pain for too long." She said. You nodded and left for the potions room with a pep in your step, excited to have a reason to go see him.

When you reached the door, classes had just ended and the students were filing out the door quickly, not daring to make a peep until they were further away. You peeked in and saw a fuming figure standing over a girl, whose face was covered in soot, scrubbing away at a pot. It seemed today was the day to get in trouble. First a boy in your class almost getting his hand bitten off, now a girl who was unfortunate to have such a messy failure in potions. You didn't dare laugh this time, afraid to attract Snape's ire.

You cautiously stepped into the room with quiet footsteps and hesitantly called out, "Professor." Snape turned around, anger still evident on his face but with one eyebrow raised, not expecting you to be there. 

"What is it, (y/l/n)?" He asked, turning around to look at you, allowing the girl to get a breather.

You held out the list in your hands and he took it, reading it over, "Madam Pomfrey asked me to get these from you; a boy got bitten by a Snapping Geranium, nearly lost his hand. you should have seen it, there was so much blood everywhere! He deserved it though." He gave you a look that said he wasn't interested in the story and handed you back the paper before walking to the adjoining storeroom. 

You followed him, standing just outside the doorway and peering inside, amazed by the large collection of ingredients on the shelves lining the walls. A light cough brought you back and you looked up at the professor who was staring at you, waiting for you to get out of his way. You grinned sheepishly and stepped aside, letting him pass. He handed you a small bag with the ingredients requested by Madam Pomfrey inside. Before you left, you asked him, "Sir, I can't recognize half of the stuff in there. Could you teach me what they are?"

"You're interested in them?" He replied with a raised eyebrow. You nodded. "Very well, but don't think it'll be any easier than what I've been having you learn."

"I wouldn't dare!" You replied gleefully, skipping out of the room. Anything chance you had to get closer to the man, you'd take. Plus, you liked potion making so it wouldn't hurt to learn more about them. Especially after the incident with the Bluedrop Flowers.