Gymnopedie No. 1

Taking off your shoes, your bare feet landed on the moist ground sending shivers up your spine. You took a few steps, feeling the fallen leaves spring back as you pressed them into the ground, an occasional soft "crunch" sounding when you stepped on one that was still brittle and dry, untouched by the rain.

Taking a small bag out from under your cloak, you put a small portable cassette player on a nearby stump and rifled through the bag until you found the right cassette. Music helped you soothe your mind and calm your tangled emotions. Every Summer before school started, you would take the time to prepare some of your favorite songs, so that you had something to comfort you if you needed it. Your hands trembled as you tried to put the cassette in, fumbling, it took you a few tries before you got it in. Hitting the play button, the soft sound of the slow, steady piano of Gymnopedie No. 1 greeted your ears. "Sonorous." You said softly, casting an amplifying charm on the cassette player, causing the sad music to swell and fill the air.

With each sounding note of the piano, you moved your limbs in a slow dance. Stretching an arm out towards that unreachable moon that lit up the night sky. Taking a step forward, then back with hesitation. A dizzying twirl as you tried to forget everything. Each move prolonged in time with the music. You didn't care if the moves you made were graceful, if they flowed, or if you stumbled. You simply moved as your heart told you to with tears welling up in your eyes, blurring your vision.

Your dance was clumsy and inelegant, but it carried with it an innocent charm and a heavy despair that was captivating. That was what Professor Snape saw as he watched you; the dappled moonlight lighting up your face and each tender movement you made. He was unable to take his eyes away, enthralled by scene. He didn't have the heart to interrupt and scold you for being out past curfew. At this moment, he was incapable of doing so. 

As the song finished, you collapsed on the ground breathless. Not caring about the dirt and the leaves. The tears flowed unfettered down your rosy cheeks and you revealed a pained smile. With a quavering voice, you told yourself, "if this is the price I have pay for loving you then so be it. I can bear the pain. It might hurt, but it's worlds apart from the pain of giving up." You laid there for a moment, allowing your resolution to fill your body, removing the weight on your chest that had been there for who knows how long. 

Feeling refreshed and reinvigorated you picked yourself up off the ground and brushed the stray leaves off your night gown. You grabbed your things and headed back to the castle to clean yourself up and get some rest, hoping you wouldn't get caught. As your footsteps faced away, Professor Snape's back slowly slid down the tree as he collapsed to the ground. Burying his head in his hands an unrecognizable emotion filled his eyes as he stared blankly at the forest floor. There was a hint happiness, sorrow, pain, and confusion. As he sat there, he seemed to come to terms with something and a faint smile alighted on his lips.