Chapter 1 - Awakening

~Oliver's POV~

The sunlight hit my eye like it did every morning, and the same thoughts I always had came back.

Why was I here?

It had already been a year since I first woke up with no recollection of any past events aside from the simple fact that my name was, in fact, Oliver.

My foster parents, Kuro and Tenchou, seemed to have no intention on giving me up to anyone any time soon, so it's strange that they decided not to adopt me.

Maybe it's morals.

What day was it? I glanced over at the calendar which hung on the door to my room, opposite of the bed.

"S...Saturday? No, Friday...?" I groaned and sat up slowly, ignoring the aching that came from my arms; I must have slept in an awkward position again.

After trudging to the door, I leered at the calendar until I found the correct date: Sunday, actually.

"Geez," I grumbled, shaking my head.

A trip to the bathroom sent me another reminder of how scared I was. Well, more confused than anything.

I pulled the bandages from around my left eye to look at the scar that covered my eyelid. There was another gold eye—nothing strange. I took a moment to ponder why I had been covering the scar all this time, anyway. It was there from the moment I had 'woken up' to now, in my bedroom.

I'm sure Ryuuto and Piko would get a kick out of seeing something from a war or military game like this in person, so why...?

Ever since that day I've always wondered 'why'? There's been nothing else in my mind.

It's almost like I'm trapped somewhere I'm not supposed to be.

But then another why: why am I thinking this?

Another: why does it matter?

They're all piled up without any meaning or reason behind them. It doesn't make sense.

I picked up the phone that Kuro had bought for me—thanks, again—and checked my texts.

Huh...?

"Oliver! Are you awake yet?!" Piko sent a few like the first, and I scrolled through them curiously.

They were all some variation of that—all asking about if I was okay, and if I was awake yet.

It didn't make sense.

The most recent message was today a few hours earlier; the latest was from two days ago.

Oh, I get it.

---

"Oh my god, he passed out!" Neru shrieked, getting up quickly from her desk.

"Hey!" The teacher pushed past everyone. He paused a moment and then sighed. "He's alright. It's a blunt injury—nothing fatal. Take him to the nurse."

Neru blinked. "M-me?!" She gasped. "No way! I am not touching him! That's disgusting!"

"Well someone better," the teacher scowled at us, "before I make everyone do extra homework for today."

The class murmured in unison before a girl raised her hand. "I will."

A relieved sigh came again in unison from the class.

The teacher nodded. "Thank you, SeeU."

---

It was that, wasn't it?

I texted back rather slowly for what I could usually do, "Thanks for worrying, Piko. I don't know why I was out for so long.... It doesn't make sense to me either. I'm not hurt or anything, though. Just...tired...."

The reply was almost immediate. "Oh thank god! I thought you died!"

I snorted. Typical Piko.

"I'll call you later," was my simple reply before setting my phone down. I was about to open the door when the knob turned and I quickly stepped back in shock to avoid getting hit to the face and knocked out again.

"Ah—Oliver?!" Kuro stood there, holding a glass of water that she almost dropped, along with a small towel that draped over her arm. "Oh my god!"

She hurriedly set the glass down and didn't mind the towel falling as I was squished by her bearhug. How I managed to survive was a mystery.

"K-Kuro! Air!" I gasped, pushing her away quickly. Taking a breath when she frantically apologized, I rolled my eyes. "Tenchou left for work already, right?"

There was a pause. She seemed to want to ask me many more things and not just go back to our usual conversations, but responded anyway, "Yes...he did."

I nodded simply. My mouth was open to say something else, but my stomach was already two steps ahead of me.

A loud, low grumble came from my mid-section and I froze in embarrassment. It made me sound desperate; what an idiotic stomach.

Then again, I guess I hadn't eaten for two days....

Kuro laughed and shook her head. "Here, I'll make you pancakes, kiddo." She ruffled my hair and got a quick scolding before turning away. "Welcome back to reality."

I scoffed. "Yeah, whatever, mom."

When she left, I felt a bit lonely. I was with my thoughts again, and it wasn't exactly the best thing.

Though it did remind me of that...voice? Was it a voice? Oh well.

What was that, anyway? It didn't sound familiar, but...whoever it was, if anyone, how did they know me?

Er, maybe it's more important to ask how they would even be able to communicate with me via my own brain anyway....

I shook my head quickly and changed into a simple t-shirt and shorts. There was no reason to dress in my school uniform if it was Sunday, anyway. Maybe I'd get a lucky day off for being a sickly, frail boy.

Doubtful, though. Tenchou's surprisingly strict in that aspect so I might pull it off acting like a baby to Kuro.

Meh, she probably wouldn't believe me anyway.

I ran downstairs and slid into my chair at the dining table just as Kuro set down the first batch of pancakes. There were only two; they were mine, of course.

"You're not going to make any for yourself?" I asked, pouring a waterfall of syrup over the pancakes.

Kuro waved the spatula at me. "Oh, hush, Ollie. I'm getting there." She laughed and patted my head.

"I said not to touch my head!" I shouted, pouting. I jammed a piece of the food into my mouth to avoid a harsher punishment than just a head-pat if I continued complaining.

Kuro had supposedly replied, but I suddenly felt like vomiting. My ears were ringing and I quickly swallowed the pancake before I choked on it.

I gripped the sides of my head to cover the sound but it only got louder. My head felt fuzzy.

It hurts....

It's so painful....

"Hey, Oliver, why do you think we exist...?"