Chapter 1

Waking up has never been a difficult task for me. When I was in the orphanage the nuns made sure to imbed an internal clock to every child. During that time, I thought nothing of it, but now that I am older I realized that they did it to make sure every child was up to do their chores. I hold no resentment towards them, in fact I thank them. They taught me how to take care of myself without the help of others and made sure I was fed.

When I was old enough, they brought me private tutors where I was taught how to talk, walk, dance, and read, normal things for girls. Though throughout all of that, I was instructed in math, science, politics, and economy - everything that was considered men's schooling.

Suddenly a knock that surprised me out of my thoughts came from my bedroom door. It gave a light squeak as it opened to reveal Caelan.

"Mémoire.", he said in mild astonishment.

"Yes? Caelan." I murmured still not fully awake yet.

"It is nine in the morning, will you not be going anywhere today?"

"Nine?", I gasped in bewilderment noticing the hour in my nightstand.

"I will call your maid to help you get ready for the day.", he answered as he opened the door and left the room.

Once he left, I sat down on the bed and started thinking again. I must have tossed and turned all night for my sleep to be this disturbed. I am usually up by eight on the dot to bathe and eat before starting my work, which means, reading and experimenting. Another knock echoed through the room and there entered my maid Nina.

"Lady Bellerose, forgive me for not waking you up.", she apologized urgently.

"It is quite all right, Nina. You are never late, what happened?", I questioned as she leads me to the bathroom.

"When I was grabbing water for your bath, a servant from the Remmington manor came and passed me a message for you, miss.", she answered.

"Hmmm, what was the message?" I asked while getting into the bathtub.

"Lord Remmington was found dead in his manor this early morning. He was found by his wife.", she began, "The doctor said it was a heart attack."

"Interesting, he was a healthy young man. It is a pity.", I lamented.

After my bath, Nina helped me put on my dress and fixed my hair. We walked outside to where breakfast was served. Waiting for me there was Caelan, who moved the seat for me.

Once I sat down, I thanked him and stated, "Lord Remmington died, mon loup. We must go there once we finish eating. Nina."

"Yes, Lady Bellerose.", she immediately answered.