viii

❦❦❦

❦❦❦

In the time Artemis had spent in her cage-like ice cell, her body had begun to shiver, trying to keep its temperature up. The girl was sat in the corner furthest away from the guards, so if she somehow found her way out of the chains, which were tightened across her wrists, the creatures wouldn't notice it at first sight.

The red head opened her eyes to the sight of an empty corridor in front of her cell, meaning no troll-like guards piercing their eyes onto her. With a deep frown creased upon her face, Artemis stood up, letting out cold, shaky breaths, forming a white, yet see-through, mist in front of her face, every once in a while, due to the exceptionally low temperature. Getting back on her feet, she took a stride to the front side of the small space and wrapped her hands around the frost-bound bars. Although she had no clue what was happening, something inside her was making her escape a whole lot easier.

Somehow, the girl began to feel droplets of water trickle down the bars and over both her hands, which were still wrapped tightly around the gate keeping her from her freedom. She quickly pulled her hands away, her eyes widened with confusion, disbelief and a spark of fear, though that fear soon vanished from her face, as she started thinking rationally. The girl blamed the ice melting to her high body temperature, as her body had changed majorly whilst on Earth, that included her body temperature. Not believing melting the ice was truly within her abilities, Artemis began breaking off the excess parts of ice bar still left with her hands, before stepping through the large escape hole carefully. Making sure there was nothing to be heard or seen around her, she snuck out of the empty hall, finding yet another abandoned corridor in the maze the Witch called a castle.

Upon seeing movement further along the narrow space, Artemis turned her head in a quick move, glancing in the opposite direction to make sure it was safe to run that direction and so she did.

She had no clue how long she had been running and turning into other hallways, as she suddenly ran into an uncommonly large room filled with statues. At once, the girl remembered this, as she and Jadis had been walking through this place right before she was locked up. Her eyes searched the crowd of statues, before finding the kind face she had been looking for so desperately. Rushing over to the statue version of the elder man, she smiled sadly, "I'm coming back for you, dad, I promise." She spoke softly to him, placing her hand on his stone-turned shoulder for a brief moment. As long as sweet moments like these could last, this one did, until an echoing howl was bouncing off the walls inside the castle, sending shivers down her spine and alarms to Artemis' brain. Her impulses kicking in, within a seconds matter, she spurted through the gates, not looking back as she sprinted for her life. Of course, she didn't know it was the Pevensie children, excluding Edmund, naturally, the wolves were after.

As fast as she could, the girl, now panting heavily due to the running, dove into a large bush sitting at the bottom of another larger-than-usual tree towering over her. She placed her hand over her own mouth, trying to drown out the sound of her breathing, to keep away from Maugrim and his bloodthirsty pack. Hearing the soft patting of their paws rush in the snow past her in a quick moment, she let out a breath of relief, the first time in some time she could relax for a second.

She waited for some more minutes though, just to be sure the animals were gone long enough for her to come out. "Thank Aslan, that was a close one." Artemis muttered to herself, letting out her last tired, panting breath that got her lungs to catch up. Standing still and upright next to the bush, she closed her eyes and focused on her breathing, feeling her chest heave to her breathing pattern. She listened to all the sounds to be heard around her, she smelled every smell there was, noticing a very faint hint of jam, biscuits and tea, she felt the wind softly blow through her long hair, her long hair that was tucked behind both ears, keeping it out of her face and preventing any annoyance, she felt the smallest of twigs and leafs under her feet.

Suddenly, there were loud growls and roars to be heard, not too far away, snapping Artemis away from her moment. She slowly stepped closer to the scene, careful not to reveal herself hiding behind the plants, trees and bushes. Maugrim and his pack were tearing apart a small cottage. When she saw the sight happening before her eyes, Artemis recognized something about the little house. As she tried to remember whose home it was, she tilted her head to the side in slight confusion, for she couldn't remember who lived there, or why they were being attacked.

In a matter of seconds, an image popped up in her mind and her vision became clear, the cottage belonged to Mr and Mrs Beaver. When she had realized that, she knew it couldn't mean anyhting good, if Jadis, the White Witch, had sent her secret police for them. "Oh no, what have they gotten themselves into?" She asked herself very quietly, the wolves too busy tearing everything apart -in which they found nothing, meaning the group had already fled- to hear the hidden girl. Without a second thought, Artemis started running for Badger's house, as Mr Beaver had once, accidentally, told her about the tunnel the two best friends dug, the tunnel that led to each other's homes, they must have gone through them to fled. With that thought stuck in mind, she rushed to Badger's, hoping to get there in time to help, save, or at least see, them all again.