Chapter 23 : Meet Me On The Battlefield

"Can't anything just be simple for once!" I shout to no one as I quickly run across the plains towards Minas Tirith. I can see the men of Rohan riding through the orcs in the distance. I don't have a horse obviously, so I'm going to have to just use my good old legs, which are very tired may I add. Hell, I'm tired in general. I better have a good holiday after this! Well, if there is an after this...

I try my hardest to dodge rocks as I run at my fastest pace across the flat plains. I can feel my lungs burn but I continue, I can't sit back and watch as everyone rides into war. I can't sit back and wait to see the outcome especially when Gandalf and Pippin are inside Minas Tirith.

I imagine Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli would be riding into the battle too. I can't let my friends do this alone. I slow down to a fast walk as I approach the nearing battle field, deciding to conceal as much energy as I can. I catch the attention of a few orcs who come charging my way even though I still have some ground to cover. I pull out my bow, shooting down the fast approaching orcs. Pulling out my sword I feel the pounding of my heart in my chest, the earth almost coming to a slow as I emerge myself into the mass group of orcs, many lay dead already from the men of Rohan.

I take in a deep breath before my sword contacts the first blade and time resumes to normal. As though a drive kicks in, I begin to fight the multiple orcs. Fighting between each blade that comes tearing down at me. Using my good footwork, I manage to sweep between two orcs, cutting each down before swiftly taking out another two.

A mass ball of fire falling from the highest peak of Minas Tirith catches my attention for a moment as it plunges to the ground. I frown slightly. How odd? What an odd phenomenon!

I quickly barrel roll across the ground as four orcs quickly come at me. As I jump to my feet, somehow, I manage to get my hands on another sword, which helps me fight against the four fast orcs. As I cut down the orcs and watch as the men of Rohan easily defeat the masses of the Orc army I begin to wonder...what's next? This can't be it. There must be something else there is no way that it can be this easy. If Sauron wants to take over Middle Earth, he's going to unleash everything he must make sure the world of men falls.

I cut down the last orc, feeling black thick blood from multiple orcs begin to dry on my face. I watch as the men of Rohan ride after the orcs who retreat to the river of Osgiliath. I turn to see that the gates of Minas Tirith has been breached and I imagine overrun with orcs. Gandalf should be handling it well, but they can't stay cooped up in the higher levels of the city forever. If the main defence has been taken down it will be only a matter of time before the rest of Minas Tirith is overrun.

I begin to make for the gates to aid the men of Gondor when the sound of an unfamiliar horn is heard in the distance. I stop dead in my tracks and turn quickly on my heel. I can't keep my mouth closed at it nearly opens to the ground. A long line of Mûmakil fast approach with men riding on them. We're seriously at a disadvantage here, how the hell do you take down one of those?

My thoughts come to a halt. As though a sudden wave of wave washes over me, I begin to feel like things are clearer. The essence of the vision begins to fill my mind pushing aside anything of importance. The Mûmakil falling, the horrible stench of death and... that orc with its sword...this must be it. When do Mûmakil come out often? The vision must be coming to motion...just like Gandalf's...

I feel my body tense up, I freeze, unable to move. I was coming into this with my head held high, but now that I stand here, the unavoidable sands of destiny laid before me...at the head of destiny's dread...I feel as though I can't do it. There's too much I haven't done yet, which says a lot considering I've been alive for a long time, so really this should be easy, but lately I've found reasons to live. I've never feared death before, but I guess I've never known when the end is near, now that I know, really know. It's hard to walk into this without freaking.