six | lahote, paul lahote

You're not safe here. You're not safe here. You're not safe here.

The words echoed in her head like a mantra. As much as Ruth tried to forget her dream from the night before, she couldn't shake it from her mind. She knew she shouldn't worry herself by thinking of potential danger. If she did, she would never be able to live. But that voice, that voice that she longed to hate, couldn't leave her be. Every time she shut her eyes, she saw herself surrounded by carnage. She saw the bodies of her friends, of her family, drenched in blood. The life was gone from their eyes. And, in the midst of it all, her long gone friend stood, speaking to her. But he didn't have his own voice. He had her father's voice, telling her to leave Forks, to come back to Camp Half-Blood. He insisted on haunting her life, trying to make up for his transgressions by offering advice. But Ruth didn't care for his advice because, as of late, he didn't seem to care for her. 

Ruth tried to distract herself with work. Her mom had offered her a job at the shop, working as a cashier after school and on  the weekends. Ruth didn't like people, but even she had to admit the job helped her out--even if she did have to deal with people's idiocy. 

In recent days, Bella kept her and the rest of their friends at arms length. She seemed to have figured out the Cullens' secret, and had taken to dating Edward. Her entire life revolved around the bronze haired immortal. Ruth would've been insulted if Bella hadn't made it clear that she valued her relationship over her friendships. Ruth couldn't stand people like that and, if Bella was one of those people, well, good riddance.

Of her friends at Forks High School, Ruth only really spoke to Angela. Jessica was too much of a gossip. Eric was too overbearing. Mike was too wrapped up in Bella's business to care about anyone else. So, Ruth found friendships elsewhere. After their first encounter at the beach, her and Embry kept in touch. Now, the two were as thick as thieves. Ruth was later introduced to Quil Ateara and formally met Jacob Black, and on days she didn't have to work, she found herself in La Push with the boys. 

Despite their closeness, Ruth couldn't reveal what she was to her friends. They always mused on who her father was, and why she had run away all those years ago. She would just laugh, shake her head, and change the subject. As guilty as she felt about lying to them, she knew she had to. She would never forgive herself if something happened to them because of her foolish mistake. 

But what of the Cullens? What made them any different? Why could they know, but not the Quileutes? Ruth knew they were damn near indestructible, and she knew they were a good ally to have. If worse came to worst, they could have her back. But the boys? Ruth would only put them in harms way if they found out. Unless time proved otherwise (because something always went down in Forks, it seemed), they were better off being oblivious. 

At least, that's all that Ruth could hope for. 

It was a slow day at the shop

It was a slow day at the shop. Not many people came through, most of them gone to take advantage of the rare, beautiful day. Honestly, Ruth couldn't blame them. She longed to be out in the sun, basking in its warmth, but she knew that her mom deserved a day out with Eden. She took responsibility over the shop for day and, though she knew her mom needed time with her girlfriend, Ruth was bored out of her mind. 

When the little bell above the door chimed, Ruth's head snapped up. She had taken to reading a magazine and, though the words kept jumbling together, she liked to look at the pictures of the models. If she wasn't cursed with demigodness, she liked to think she would've gotten into the modeling business. She would never know, so she could only dream of a life where she was normal.

"For the love of God, please tell me you have some fucking poster board." 

A boy, about her age, with russet skin and dark, unforgiving eyes had come barreling into the shop. He looked pissed, like he had searched every convenience store in the area and had come up short. Or, as Ruth thought, he looked like Eden when Jamie told her that they weren't having take out for dinner for the fifth night in a row.

"In the stationery section." Ruth pointed towards the aisle. "Think you can find it on your own, big guy?" 

The boy narrowed his eyes at her before stomping off to the chosen aisle. 

Ruth turned her attention back to the magazine, until he came stomping up to the register. "Did you find everything okay?" 

"Don't talk to me like that," he snarled.

"Chill, dude, I gotta ask every customer that. I don't have a personal vendetta against ya or anything." 

Ruth scanned the price tag, and looked to the register for the total. "That'll be four ten." 

The boy stared at her.

"Four dollars and ten cents, genius." 

"Sorry, dollface," he said, his demeanor completely changing. "Didn't mean to be so rude a second ago. I've just been searching for this damn poster board all day, and I was about to blow a gasket if it wasn't here."

"Cool story, don't care," she said. "Your total is four dollars and ten cents. Pay it, or leave without your precious poster board." 

He dug a five dollar bill out of his pockets. "I'm Lahote. Paul Lahote." 

She took the bill and got out ninety cents from the register. "Still don't care."

"Oh, come on, don't be like that." 

"Like what? My job isn't to flirt with customers. It's to ring up the purchases, take the money, and get any change from the register. My job's done, and social expectations say now that I've given you your change, you take your newly acquired good and leave. Buh bye." 

Paul snorted. "I like you."

"Don't care. Leave." 

"Most people would take their business elsewhere with your attitude."

"Are you one of those people? 'Cause I sure hope you're leaving." 

He grinned. "Nah. I like you. I'll find a reason to come back."

She groaned. "Oh, gods, just leave already!"

He winked at her before grabbing the poster board and leaving the shop. 

Ruth really wasn't getting paid enough to deal with this shit.