nine | all that glitters is not gold

Ruth, Quil, and Embry walked up to Jake's garage together. Most of the time, when Bella was working on the bikes with Jake, Ruth would hang out with the other boys. They'd usually go to Quil's house and watch dumb movies, laughing and making fun of them. But Quil got tired of being the only one who hadn't met Bella, so he forced Ruth to take them to Jake's house. So, now they walked across the Black property, Embry's arm thrown around Ruth's shoulders.

Quil announced their presence just as they walked into the garage. Bella was moving to hide the bikes, thinking they were someone who'd rat on her, but Jake stopped her. "It's cool. It's just my boys."

"I wasn't aware that I was a boy, Black," Ruth said, walking in side by side with Quil and Embry.

Bella glanced between Embry and Ruth, her eyes landing on the arm that was still wrapped around Ruth. She furrowed her eyebrows together, but she said nothing.

"This is Bella," Jake said to the boys, ignoring Ruth's comment. "Bella, this is Quil and Embry. You met Embry back at the beach a while ago."

Bella nodded as Quil said, "So, the bike building story is true." 

"Taught him everything he knows," Bella replied.

Quil's mouth quirked up into a smirk. "What about the part where you're his girlfriend?"

"Oh, we're just friends," Bella said, looking to her feet. Her face started to turn pink, and she avoided everyone's gaze.

"Oooh, burn!" Embry laughed, his chest rumbling. Ruth snorted as she looked up at her friend. She suddenly became aware of how much taller he had gotten since they'd first met on the beach.

Jake's face turned red. "Umm, I said she's a girl and a friend."

Quil looked to his friend. His smirk grew. "Embry, do you remember him making that distinction?"

Embry shook his head. "Nope!"

Bella looked at Quil, then back to Embry and Ruth. "So, I guess you guys have girlfriends?"

Jake snorted, smacking his knee as he laughed. "Right, Quil took his cousin to prom!"

Embry snorted and Ruth looked at Quil. "Did you really?" she laughed.

Quil frowned. "Yeah, that's still a riot." He moved closer to Jake. "You want funny, Black? I'll give you funny!"

He made a run at Jake, to which Jake dodged. They began play fighting as Embry and Ruth moved closer to Bella.

"I got five bucks on Quil," Embry said. 

"You're on!" Bella said. 

The three of them watched Jake and Quil. Ruth settled closer in Embry's ams, taking note of how warm he'd been. She looked up at him and whispered so that Bella and the boys couldn't hear, "You okay?"

He glanced down at her, nodding. "Yeah, why?"

"Just makin' sure. You aren't runnin' a fever, are ya?"

He shook his head. "I'm okay, Ruthie. I promise." 

Ruth didn't realize that would be the last time she would speak to him.

Bella, Jacob, and Ruth had spent the day looking for parts for the bikes

Bella, Jacob, and Ruth had spent the day looking for parts for the bikes. After finding what they needed, Bella was driving back to Jake's place so they could work on them. Jake was talking, saying, "These bikes are gonna be rolling soon. Where should we ride first?"

As they drove along the La Push cliffs, Bella mused, "Someplace sunny."

Jake snorted. "Like there's any place sunny around here."

"I know a place above the cloud line—" Bella stopped.

"Where is it?"

Bella frowned and her eyebrows scrunched together. "Actually, it's...too hard to get to."

Jake smiled anyways. "So we'll find our own sunny spot, right?"

Bella smiled back at him.

Ruth was staring out the window, spotting a group of guys at the top of the cliffs. There were four of them, wearing nothing but cut-off shorts. She recognized three of them from standing on the edge of the Black property when the bike project first started. The fourth one was one she didn't want to recognize. Not at all. Bella followed her gaze, watching the boys rough-housing.

"Isn't that..." Bella began, wracking her brain for a name. "...Sam Uley?"

"And his cult," Jake spat.

They watched as two of the guys tossed a third over the cliff. Bella gasped, slamming on the breaks. "Oh my god!" she said.

Bella jumped out of the truck, Ruth and Jake following close behind her. Jake was laughing, and said, "They're not really fighting, Bella. They're cliff diving."

Bella looked back at him. "What? On purpose?"

"Scary as hell," Jake said, "but a total rush."

Ruth watched as Paul Lahote, the damned, egotistical Paul Lahote, look in her direction, take a running start, and flung himself off the cliff. 

"Most of us jump from lower down," Jake explained.

"Think I could?" Bella asked.

"First motorcycles, now cliff diving?" He laughed.

"You said it was a rush."

"Maybe on a warmer day. And not from the top." Jake looked back the cliff. Bitterness took over his voice as he said, "We'll leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples."

Bella looked at Jake, watching him carefully. "You don't like them." It wasn't a question.

"They think they run this place," he explained. "Acting all badass, calling themselves protectors."

"What are they protecting?"

"The tribe, the land, their right to be jerks." Jake shook his head. "Embry used to call them hall monitors on steroids. Now look at him."

Ruth's heart ached as she watched her former friend. His once long, beautiful hair had been cut short. He had grown at least a foot, developed muscles. Even though he was so far away, she could tell that his bright smile had been replaced by a thin line, happiness almost void from his face. He no longer looked like the laid back kid she used to know.

"That's Embry?" Bella asked. "I didn't recognize him. What happened?"

"He missed some school--then, out of nowhere, he's following Sam around. Same thing happened with Paul and Jared. They weren't even friends, now Sam owns them." He paused. "Sam keeps giving me this look, like he's waiting for me or something...It's kinda freaking me out."

"Maybe you should just avoid them?" Bella suggested.

"I try but..." Jake shifted on his feet.

Ruth wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a hug. She could feel someone staring at her, but she couldn't tell who. "If he tries anything, I'll kick his ass, okay? Just give me the word."

Jake smiled a bit. Bella hugged him, too, adding, "If it gets worse, we'll go to my dad. Or you can come stay with us."

"Thanks," he said. "Ya know, if this is how you guys are going to react, I'll freak out more often."

Both girls laughed as they head back to the truck. "Don't be such a guy, Jake," Ruth laughed.

"Aw c'mon, you both like it." 

"Only 'cause it's you."