three

hey! so, before you start reading, please check out my instagram @sureokayfine_wp, because you can find a new video/picture everyday for each chapter!

also, please comment! i love finding out what you guys think.

enjoy :)

—————————————————————————————-

running off and joining the circus isn't as easy as it looks.

trust me - i know.

————————————————————

"barnum's american circus".

that's what was written in bold, red letters on the side of a huge manhattan office building.

i look up in awe as pt gently places his hand on my shoulder and guides me through the doors.

i'm met with a large room full of things from far around the world, such as models of elephants and wax artefacts.

however, the thing that catches my eye is the central sand pit, in the shape of a ring. all around are seats as high up as i can see, and a flurry of bright colours, complete with bright lights and some ropes hanging from the ceiling.

"woah," i whisper.

"right?" pt chuckles. then, a blonde woman approaches us.

"oh," he says, "this is my wife, charity," the woman smiles at me, and i curtesy back.

"nice to meet you, ma'am," i say, blushing slightly.

"oh dear, don't be so formal! it's very nice to meet you -" she prompts me to finish.

"oh - kathryn. kathryn wakefield,"

"what a lovely name!" i smile in gratitude when, out of nowhere, two little girls come running up to me and juno.

"hello, miss, please may we pet your dog?" the taller one asks.

"yeah, of course - go ahead," i nod. excitedly, they bound towards juno and pounce on him.

"girls! sorry about that," pt apologises to me. i shake my head.

"no, genuinely - it's fine!" i kneel down to the girls. "his name's juno, and he absolutely loves attention." they giggle and pt sighs, rolling his eyes.

"these are my girls," he says, placing his hands on their shoulders. "caroline and helen."

"hi," says the younger one, helen.

"nice to meet you," says caroline.

"nice to meet you both," i smile.

—————————————————————

i'm led behind the main ring and into the backstage area where i'm met with many other "extraordinary" persons.

little did i know, these people would soon become my best friends.

a beautiful mixed-race woman walks up to me, beaming. she is wearing a stunning lilac wig and a dazzling leotard.

"hi," i whisper in awe.

"hi! what's your name?" she inquires.

"i'm kathryn - kathryn wa-"

"actually, on the topic of that," says pt, placing his hands on my shoulders. "for show purposes, i think that it would be positively extraordinary if you were re-branded as "kitty - beast tamer extraordinaire!". is that OK?"

i shrug, confused.

"sure, but i'm not exactly a "beast tamer", am i?" i laugh.

pt just smirks in reply and kneels down to meet my eyes.
"well, since you trained juno here," he gestures to juno, who is lying down on the floor. "why couldn't you train a horse?" his eyes sparkle in amazement. "or maybe even more exotic - like a lion!"

"alright, optimist," i laugh and he pats my back.

"'atta girl, kitty!"

the woman from before grabs my hand and leads me away.

"well, as i was saying, before i was so rudely interrupted," she shoots daggers at pt who only tips his top hat and swaggers away. "i'm anne wheeler, and he," she gestures to a man stood in the wings tying some rope. "is my brother, wd."

i smile up at her.

i love this girl already!

"i guessed that your act is an animal act, which i cannot wait to see!"

"thanks! i hope you like it. though i don't really have an "act" as such yet..." she shrugs.

"everyone has an act - you've just gotta believe in yourself. wd and i - we do trapeze. it's dangerous, but i'm completely in love with it!"

"but i'm nowhere near as good as you!" i say as i see wd hanging upside down from the ceiling.

anne stops me and bends down to look me in the eyes.

"listen, kitty. you are just as good as everyone else here - if not better! pt - he knows talent when he sees it, trust me. at the auditions, he was overjoyed. but, when he told us about you and your dog, it was like he couldn't contain his excitement."

quickly, i embrace anne in a hug. she seems shocked at first but quickly returns the gesture.

i don't care if anyone stares; we're all misfits here.