Audacity

Audacity

Noun:

Rude or disrespectful behaviour.

Jasper watched through the rear view mirror as the Police Constable got out of his vehicle and took his time strolling down the hard shoulder of the motorway to the now parked up Ducati Multistrada. Puffs of vapour rose into the freezing air as the rider muttered several obscenities. He removed his helmet shoving a hand  through his thick dark hair in frustration.

     "Morning Sir, in a bit of a hurry are you?"  the constable asked. His thumbs were tucked casually into  his jacket pocket like some John Wayne cowboy character all he needed was a piece of hay sticking out of his mouth.

Jasper Neyve gave a sigh of resignation, if only he could have got in front of the Eddie Stobart truck he would've been home by now.
     "Good morning constable. Yes I am in a great hurry," he  said looking up at the policeman hoping that he would recognise him.

Unfortunately for him there was no recognition whatsoever.

     "And where might you be going?"  The sergeant said getting his pen ready.

     "I'm going to Shettleham Manor, and I need to get there very soon or I will be late and cause everyone huge problems."

     " Oh going to the manor are you, what are you, one of the serving staff, big funeral up there today. Late for your shift are you?"

     "No I'm not," Jasper gave a half hearted laugh "but I will be late for the funeral if we stand here much longer."

The policeman chuckled. "License please, I hope you're insured for this death trap?"

     "Yes of course I am. What do you take me for?" Jasper asked sounding aggrieved and reaching into his inside pocket for his wallet.

     "I take you for what you are Sir, a speeding motorist." 

The policeman carried on writing in his notebook and then took the breathalyzer machine out.

     "Have you been drinking Sir?

Jasper's heart dropped, he'd been drinking last night, in fact it was the early hours of the morning when he'd gone to bed. No doubt the alcohol was still in his system.

     "Last night I had a drink."

     " Blow into this please Sir, keep blowing until I tell you to stop."

Jasper breathed in and blew into the machine, he knew without a shadow of a doubt that he would turn the light red.

The radio crackled on the sergeant's shoulder. All Jasper heard was the name of the person who owned the bike, and it wasn't his.

Eddie looked at the license.

     "So you are not the owner of this motorbike Sir?"

     "No constable I'm not, it belongs to a very good friend mine, and I borrowed it because I thought it would get me to my father's funeral on time."

     "Your father's funeral?"

      "Yes, my father, the 10th Duke of Shettleham."

      "So you are...?" Eddie looked at the license again.

     "I am..." Jasper stopped, and hitched a breath, he'd never actually voiced his new title to anyone yet, it just seemed to be an odd thing to say out loud, and it brought home the godawful fact that his father had indeed died and that his life was now full of huge responsibilities.