Sirens

Lucas:
"I want to ride with him!" Lucas shouted, shoving past Dustin so he could get in Steve's face.
"Whoa! Calm down, kid. That's not for me to decide, alright?" Steve exclaimed."You'll have to ask the paramedics."
"You don't want to ride with him, Steve?" Max called from the ground, as she was still sitting beside Mike and El.
Steve gave the slightest eyebrow raise.
"I have to drive the rest of you Nerds there, don't I?"
"Oh." Max said. "Yeah, I guess you do."
"I can hear it coming!" Will exclaimed from farther up the road.
Lucas' eyes darted to the road, and he pricked his ears, straining to hear the wailing. Soon, after a minute of silence, his ears detected it.
It was faint right now, but Lucas knew it would soon be very loud.
"How's he doing?" Steve asked El.
El pressed her fingers against his wrist. "Alive." She croaked after a moments silence.
"But... also really hot..."
Steve crouched down next to the two and examined Mike. He pressed the back of his hand against the boy's forehead and frowned. "He is burning up," he murmured. "Have any of you got any idea what's wrong with him?"
No one answered Steve's question.
Steve pushed himself back up off the ground and sighed. "Well, let's hope the medics do. And, El, what about you?" He asked gently. "How are you doing?"
"I-I don't want to see him go." El responded.
"He'll be fine." Steve reassured, but Lucas detected the uncertainty in his tone. He looked down at Max, and they exchanged a knowing glance.
"There's the lights!" Steve gasped.
"Please, hurry!" Lucas murmured underneath his breath with a worried glance down at his friend. He didn't know how long Mike could hold on....
When the ambulance finally skidded to a halt in front of them, Steve had shouted for them to clear the area. When the paramedics hopped out of the vehicle, he snapped at the kids to leave Mike alone so the people could help.
"Everyone clear the way!" One of the head paramedics called as two of them rushed over with a gurney. "Kid, can you please get away from your friend?"
Lucas took a step away, until he realized that they weren't talking to him. They were talking to El.
"El, let go of him!" Dustin shouted.
"I don't want him to go!" El cried. "Please don't let him die!"
"Kid, move! Please! We can't help him if you won't let go."
Lucas held his breath as the doctors bent down, half expecting El to throw them through the air.
"El, please." He said quietly. "Let him go."
El took a deep shuddering breath, before she finally let go of Mike's limp form. She scooted back and watched in fear as they crouched down next to him, saying things like, "Can you hear me?" "Unresponsive." And "Does this hurt?"
Lucas was still frozen in fear, and didn't notice when everyone, except for him and El, went to Steve's car.
"You two wanna ride with us?" One female paramedic called as they loaded Mike into the ambulance.
"Can't you only fit one person?"
"We can make an exception for two kids Do you want to go?"
Lucas nodded vigorously and turned to El. "You want to ride with him?"
El's eyes sparkled with worry, and she froze, as if unsure what to say.
"El!" Steve called from his car. "Ride with them!"
El wiped her eyes and nodded. "Yes."
"Okay, come on! Hurry! We don't have all day and your friend needs to get to the hospital!"
Lucas nodded and helped El off the ground and into the ambulance. Once they were inside, two medics slammed the door shut behind them.
El grabbed Mike's hand again, her eyes watering.
At first Lucas thought she wanted comfort or something. But, that was before he noticed her thumb pressed against his wrist. Right upon the pulse point they had shown her.
"You can let go. He's safe here with them." He murmured to her.
El shook her head, she looked down at Mike sadly as the ambulance took off. His face twitched slightly before going back to its mostly peaceful state.
"They're putting something in his arm over there..."
Lucas pursed his lips, and explained what they were doing to their friend as best as he could. "Yes. That's a shot. It's how they'll get the medication in him, since he can't swallow it."
A worried expression crossed El's face, but Lucas wasn't sure it was because she didn't understand. Or, Perhaps she'd seen it somewhere before, like when she was living in the lab.
"Temp's at 101. What's your friends name?" One of the paramedics asked as she peeled open one of Mike's eyelids and shone a light in his right eye, then his left. "Pupils dilated," she said to her friend in front of her.
El looked to Lucas.
"His name is Mike. M-Michael Wheeler. " Lucas said.
"How old?"
"Fourteen."
The lady nodded, pulling out her stethoscope. She slid it under Mike's shirt and listened for a minute. But, her expression quickly changed from determined to worried.
"Mike?" She finally asked. "Can you hear me? You're safe here, okay? Can you open your eyes for me?"
After a couple more unsuccessful attempts at trying to wake him, the nurse sighed in defeat. She muttered something to her coworker and wrapped the tool back around her neck.
"Give me a pair of scissors." She ordered.
Lucas watched, mildly interested, as the man handed the woman a large pair of scissors. But, his eyes widened in terror as she began to cut away the striped shirt from Mike's body. She, then, began to attach electrodes to his sickly greenish pale skin.
Lucas hoped that the shirt wasn't one of Mike's favorites.
"What happened to him?" A different paramedic asked as the monitor flickered to life.
"Umm..." Lucas had to drag his attention away from the machine which tracked Mike's heartbeat. It was going a whooping speed of 39 beats per minute.
"Did he fall? Hit his head?"
Lucas shook his head. "We-we were arguing and then he collapsed."
"He looked like he was choking..." El whispered.
"Huh?" The lady asked.
"He-He looked like he was choking." Lucas translated.
The lady frowned, tipping Mike's head back, so his mouth opened. She shone her flashlight down his throat, her frown deepening.
"His airway's clear." She announced. "He collapsed, you said? Out of nowhere?"
Lucas sighed in frustration. "He was on his knees, he looked like he was choking, then he collapsed. Do you know what's wrong?"
"He's been acting tired all day." El murmured. "He was easily tired. And Steve said that he's burning up."
"He's been acting tired all day, she says." Lucas repeated aloud. "And he's burning up, too."
The woman furrowed her eyebrows, and turned to exchange a look with one of her co-workers. Her mouth opened to say something, but a strained sound that erupted from the monitor didn't allow her to speak.
Someone cursed under their breath, while another called out, "He's coding! Give him a mask! Ready the defibrillators!"
"El. Take your hands off of him so you don't get hurt." Lucas murmured under his breath.
El didn't look to happy about it, but she pulled away her hand from Mike's wrist.
As a substitute for his lungs, a medic placed a mask over Mike's nose and mouth, and began squeezing it in a steady pattern.
On the opposite side, one paramedic laced their hands together and had begun to press on his chest in a controlled rhythm. 
The sound of electricity charging reached Lucas' ears. And,
he winced in fear and watched as the lady placed the metal plates upon Mike's bare chest. She looked up at the monitor before crying out: "clear!"
Everyone lifted their hands, and Lucas held his breath. He bit his lip, praying that his friend would come back to life. But, not a single change happened.
The lady growled, glancing over at the monitor once more, before calling out again, "clear!"
Mike's back arched, and with a gasp, he sat up off the bed, screaming his head off as if something was trying to kill him.
El slammed into Lucas as the driver veered left, seeming to get spooked by the loud screech. And the poor, shaken paramedics were trying to get Mike to lay back down again. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful. The monitor beeped at an irregular pace going way faster than Lucas could keep up with. And Poor Mike screamed at the wall, his chest heaving with every labored breath he took.
"El!" He screeched. "El! Where are you?"
"Mike!" El exclaimed, her voice sounding quite shaken up. "Mike, I'm here!"
"El!" Mike screeched louder as if he hadn't heard his girlfriends desperate cries. "You've gotta run! He's coming for us! He's coming for everyone!"
"Mike!" El yelled. "Who?"
"El! The monster's coming! He's coming and he's not happy! El!"
El seemed to shrink down in the seat, her eyes widening at the sight of the half naked boy.
"El..." Mike's voice was beginning to slur, his eyelids seemed like they were being filled with sand. "El... please.... please..... El....... h-h-hurry......El....."
With a groan of pain, Mike collapsed back into the bed, and the monitor steadied to a normal beeping noise.
No one in that vehicle moved for a good solid minute. Lucas thought he would break the silence, so he turned the nurse, Cindy, in front of him.
"What happened?"

El:
El stared in horror at her boyfriend. This reminded her of the time he'd tried to describe the word 'mental' to her. She'd never really understood it until now...
"W-Why did you do that?" One of the people screamed at another one dressed exactly like them.
"His heart rate was almost at 300." The male responded. "I did what I had to!"
"We could've calmed him down!"
"But, Cindy, his heart rate is back to normal now!" The second lady said.
Cindy, the woman who seemed to be taking charge the most, shook her head. "Fine. How much longer, Frank?"
"About five minutes. Light traffic." The driver, Frank, replied.
Five minutes! Five minute is too long! She could already feel the life draining from him!
"Alright. Thank you."
The people continued to talk to one another, but it was at that point that El decided to stop listening. Instead, she reached for Mike's wrist and pressed her fingers against his pulse point again. It throbbed under her fingers, slowly and weakly, but it distracted her from the shouting. She sighed and looked down at her boyfriend. Mike had to make it... if he didn't.... who would make her feel safe and protected?
Then, something strange caught her attention. It was a blue color spreading like a wave across Mike's body. Coursing from the tips of his fingers, all the way to the center of his chest, right over his heart. She glanced up at his face, and quickly noted his blue lips and the red mark imprinted into his skin over his throat. Almost as if he were being choked...
Without a second thought about it, she tugged on Lucas' sleeve, who was now arguing with the man across from him.
"Lucas...."
Lucas turned towards El. "What?"
El pointed down at Mike. "He's turning blue....."
Everyone in the vehicle, except for Frank the driver, looked down at Mike. They, as well, noticed his bluing skin.
The nurse, Cindy, seemed to be more confused than ever. She pulled out her flashlight for a third time and shone it down his throat. She then pocketed it and gently pressed her fingers against his throat.
"Alright, for the third time!" She called out. "His airway's clear- hey, has this red mark always been there?"
El shook her head, praying that the lady noticed.
"Alright. He's losing air, fast. Get him the mask again!"
The beeping in the corner began to pick up pace, and assuming by the people's expressions, it was not a good thing.
To be honest, El was pretty confused. No longer than a few minutes ago, they wanted to bring the beeping up. And then they wanted it down, now they wanted it down again? What was with this? She watched in curiosity as they pulled out the mask thing again, placed it on his face, and began pumping it.
Two of the doctors had now jumped in front of her, blocking her view completely. A few coughs from beyond the forms of the medics alerted her, and when they began shouting, she knew wasn't good.  And to make it worse, the constant wait was making her even more anxious. At first, she had the urge to shove past the people and see what was going on, but she knew that wouldn't help anyone. So, instead, she tried to focus on the beeping noise.
In fact, she was so engrossed in the bleeping, she didn't even notice the ambulance screech to a halt. And when the doors burst open, she got ushered out beside Lucas, still very surprised.
The vehicle took off again and El stood frozen beside Lucas. She watched in horror as Mike got wheeled into the hospital by the paramedics and some other doctors. She looked over at Lucas and exchanged a glance with him.
They seemed to be thinking the same thing though. But, before they had time to say anything to each other, they got ushered into the hospital.
"What we got?" A tall lady wearing a thin yellow dress called as soon as the bed wheeled into the hospital.
"14 year old, male, Michael Wheeler. Friends called after he spontaneously collapsed when they were playing. Crashed on the way here, charged 300, brought him back, he awoke screaming, so we put him back to sleep. Showing possible signs of internal bleeding, skin is pale and blue, bp 130/80."
The lady, Cindy, said it all in one breath, but the information went in one of El's ears and out the other. She followed behind them next to Lucas to a small room with a bed and a lot of machines.
The people let Mike in there, but they blocked El and Lucas from entering.
"Where are your parents?" The doctor asked as he spread his arms, as if he wanted a hug. "What's your name?"
"What are they doing to Mike?" El asked.
"They're helping him, but they need to focus to do that, so you can't be in there. Do you need to call someone?"
"Lung collapsed!" Someone called out.
"Page Dr. Ambroise!"
El looked up at Lucas, waiting for him to respond, but the boy stood transfixed on the room. She realized that he most likely understood what they were calling out, unlike her.
"What are your names?"
El met the man's eyes again and one of Hopper's lessons flashed in her mind. To your friends and family, you are El or Eleven, but to the world, you are Jane Hopper.
"I'm Jane.... Jane Hopper." El said. "He's Lucas Sinclair."
"Do you need to call your parents?" The man asked.
El shook her head. "Friends... where are they?"
Lucas took a step towards the open room, maybe hoping to squeeze past the man. But, the man grabbed the back of his jacket and pulled him away.
He shut the blinds on the inside and then the door. "Alright, Jane and Lucas, let's go see if your friends can call your parents, okay? And have them call Michael's parents, too."