Chapter Sevenღ

Christian decided the safest plan was for us to get on a train away from our current location. Christian planned to travel from Novosibirk to Omsk; by overnight train as it would take around eight hours. When we arrived in Omsk we would travel to the outskirts of the city and find somewhere to lay low; there we would contact my parents.

We got on the next train possible; one that left at 3am. Christian continued to scan the area, his hand hovering over the small of my back as he practically herded me onto the farthest carriage.

We walked towards the restaurant area of the carriage. It was quiet; probably due to it being the early hours of the morning. A man was reading a newspaper, his eyes tired and heavy. A young couple were sat in the furthest corner of the carriage, the woman's head rested on the man's shoulder as he stroked her arms affectionately. I caught sight of their tattoos, Elisia and Jamie.

Lucky Bastards.

"Do you want some coffee?" Christian asked politely.

I groaned with relief, "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes."

"It's just a cup of coffee," Christian mumbled, his eyebrows raised as he walked towards the counter.

Christian made sure to face sideways so he could speak to the cashier while still keeping a close eye on me. I rested back on the cushioned chairs, running a hand over my face tiredly. All of my limbs were heavy, drained from the onslaught of running for my life.

"Here," Christian threw me a small smile, "You look like you need it."

"I'm going to ignore that comment." I laughed softly.

I gulped at the coffee; not even caring when it burnt my tongue slightly. The coffee was black and gritty, a striking contrast to the sweet lattes I normally ordered, but I swallowed down the fuel without question.

"So," I said hesitantly, "How are you feeling?"

Christian looked up from his coffee in surprise, "Excuse me?"

"How are you feeling?" I repeated, "I mean, are you ok? After everything that's happened." I leaned closer so I could whisper, "I'm sorry about Mateo."

Christian curled his lip at the mention of his dead friend's name, his hold on his styrofoam coffee cup tightening.

"Not here, Nadia." Christian dismissed lowly.

"I'm sorry." I apologised softly.

Christian refused to look at me for a moment before he took a deep breath. His dark eyes finally met mine and he nodded; acknowledging my condolences at least.

We sat in silence for a few minutes; both of us drinking our coffees. I went up to order a muffin after my stomach had growled for the fifth time.

"Where are you going?" Christian questioned immediately, standing along with me.

"Possessive much?" I teased.

He looked at me darkly, not finding my joke amusing.

"I'm going to get a muffin." I sighed, "Do you want anything."

"No." Christian shook his head and slowly took his seat once again.

"It's fine, Christian." I reassured him when he failed to relax, "I'm right over there."

Christian nodded, "I'm watching though."

To anyone else, this sentence would have seemed creepy, but it brought me comfort. After everything we had been through I would be worried if Christian wasn't on alert. His concern for my safety was touching.