Chapter 16: Farewell

I woke up this morning, with a throbbing headache; my head was spinning with the only thoughts of what happened last night. I hated the way I reacted towards them and after all they deserved it. I tried my best to get out of bed but in the process I stumbled down, right where I fell, I yelped out in pain as I hit my knees on the ;wooden floor.  To add to that pain my headache got worst and was pounding even harder.

My bedroom door burst open revealing both Zane and Anita, they rushed over to me a seated me back on the bed. I had unwashed tears in my eyes, the pain was excruciating and I felt my eyes closing on me. I pressed my hands on my head and squeezed as hard as possible. Anita handed me a glass of water and two aspirins. I took them from the moment they reached my hands.

I held on to Zane as he rub my back trying his best to ease my pain, he really tries at times, but like Mr. Joe said, “ John might be the better person to do that” I laughed at the memory yesterday and rest my head on Zane’s shoulders.

I don’t know what I will do without you, Anita and Timothy. I said to him. He tightened his hold on me and sighed. Leo! if it wasn't for you, we all would have never been friends, and when a friend need a shoulder to lean and cry his eyes out I am here for you, along with your brother and Anita.

After a while if silence, we shifted from our positions and I lay back on the bed. Zane was quiet for the time but I know deep down that he is crying silently in his mind. I could tell by the look on his face. A voice broke our peaceful silence.

Come on guys, the funeral service is like in an hour time. Zane Give Leo some space and let him get ready. Oh and Leo! Anita hesitated a little before she looks me in the eye. Mrs. Paul called and said don’t forget the speech and that we have to be back at their house for a family gathering. Zane got up and hoisted me up with him. They both engulfed me in a tight hug and said, “We are here for you.”

We pulled away and I saw Zane looking at Anita with pure love in his eyes, at this time I couldn't wait any longer for them to spill the beans. I admired the way they both held the constant look of admiration in their eyes, I could see the love and lust building between them both. I felt a little pang in my chest and wish that would be me and John someday to come. But like they say, life goes on.

In my head, I was telling myself, I need to know at least how they both felt about each other. And both of them hiding things from me weren't resting properly. Either I already have a clue, I need to dam know. I turned again to take one more look at them; I was caught in my tracks, like a deer caught in headlights. My jaw dropped, my eyes widen and my heart swelled. The sight before me was, way unexplainable; it was indeed a Kodak moment for me.  I couldn't believe it was happening in my room; I scrambled across the room, collected my phone and began snapping pictures at them.

Zane on his knees, proposing to Anita, Anita had tears in her eyes and Zane was summing up the bits and pieces. I switched to video record what he was say saying to her. I move closer to them and they didn't even pay attention to me or any movement around them, like they were in their own little world that consists of them both and only them. I was nervous and excited for Anita and Zane. In my head I was only chanting, “Say yes Bitch, if you don’t I will smack you so hard you wish you wasn't born.” Over and over again 

As I moved the phone closer to them I listened intently to Zane’s words. He didn't write a speech but it was from his heart and mind.

Anita, my sweet Anita, I have liked you since day one. You are my fresh air and humming bird, you are my best friend and I want you to be more with me. I want to travel the world with you and I want you to carry our babies. I mentally laughed at this. Anita, your eyes, hair, lips and every part of you calls my name. I wouldn't lie there are times when I cannot resist the urge to let you go, and at times you are the one who comforts me and cherishes me. Anita I will want you to be my wife, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So I propose to you now and then. Anita Angle Rosemary, Will you take my hand in marriage. My eyes were welling up with tears and couldn't hold it in any longer. A knock on my bedroom door made me snapped my head to the direction and I placed my index finger on my lips to quite them down. I pointed to the couple to be and my brother’s eyes widen and jaw dropped. His eyes were smiling with admiration and excitement.