012

( NO HOPE )

     CLEO'S EYES STAYED OPEN THROUGH THE NIGHT, WATCHING AS THE FOG THINNED RELUCTANTLY

     CLEO'S EYES STAYED OPEN THROUGH THE NIGHT, WATCHING AS THE FOG THINNED RELUCTANTLY. Since Cleo refused to ever acknowledge Bellamy's existence again, she woke Charlotte up first, who then woke Bellamy up. He took the first steps out of the cave, insisting that he be the one to check if it was really safe or not.

"It's all clear," he spoke into the cave and Cleo walked out with Charlotte's hand in hers. "Anybody out here? Jones?"

"We're here!" Jones answered almost immediately.

Cleo gripped Charlotte's hand, refusing to follow him. She didn't want to spend one more minute around him.

"Come on, sweetheart let's go."

They began walking back to camp, or the way Cleo assumed was back to camp. She really didn't know the way, but she figured they'd get back sooner or later. Some caretaker she was.

A few strides into their journey back home, Cleo's eyes fell onto a lump on the forest floor. A scarlet lump in the shape of a human body. She pulled Charlotte back, hoping to spare her the view of a dying body, but it was no use.

The little blonde girl by her side let out an ear piercing scream and Cleo immediately pulled her into her body. Bellamy came bounding towards them out of the forest, the rest of the small hunting group behind them. His hand fell to Charlotte's shoulder comfortingly, his eyes drifting to Cleo momentarily before he looked to the body.

"Son of a bitch," he remarked as he got closer to the body, leaving the others behind. "Atom."

A shaky breath left Cleo's lips as she heard Atom straining to talk and even breathe. The group looked down at the boy who didn't even remotely look human. His skin was littered with scars and burn wounds, the kind of stuff Cleo never thought she'd ever have to witness.

She harshly shoved Charlotte behind her and whipped her head around to the little girl. "Stay there," she ordered.

Her feet led her next to Bellamy, where he was knelt down on the ground. She dropped to her knees next to Atom and her hands gingerly reached out to touch him.

He winced immediately at her touch, making her pull away. His eyes were frightened as they looked around and Cleo could tell from the color that he couldn't see anything anymore. He'd never see anything again.

"Oh, Atom," she sobbed underneath her breath.

"Kill..." his voice was only loud enough to be heard by Bellamy and Cleo. "Me."

Cleo's eyes flickered up to meet Bellamy's and they shared a somber look. She didn't think she would've ever seen the fearless leader with such a look of sadness on his face. He hadn't been anything but smug since landing, but for the first time, he showed some humanity.