47 - The project

All the other passengers, on board the old steam train, had found seats in other compartments so the trio didn't have to dissuade anyone trying to join them. The only person who did pop in was a female conductor with a strong Liverpudlian accent. Her uniform was clearly designed for a man and not someone curved as she was. Ellen wondered whether the woman could only take shallow breaths in fear of popping a button from her jacket.

'Hello my dears,' she said, with a smile as she waltzed into the compartment and sliding the door halfway behind her. 'Have you already got tickets?'

The three teenagers rummaged around in handbags and pockets to retrieve their ten trip passes.

'My brother's also with us and he has one of these as well,' said Marianne.

'Oh yes. I saw a young lad, yay height, further along the corridor with a gentleman. Yes I've already punched his ticket so don't you worry. Are you going to the end of the line today ... to London or getting off earlier?'

'London. Yes,' said Marianne.

The conductor looked up at the solitary item of luggage on the rack above their heads.

'My, you're travelling light. I guess you won't be staying long?' she chortled. 'Then again London is not really the safest place to be at this time. Have you got somewhere lined up to board?'

'Oh no, we're not visiting,' said Marianne. 'We're heading for the Wrens' training camp. I'm joining up.'

'And me,' added Ellen, whilst Marianne sat with a bemused look on her face. 'We're cousins and wanted to enlist together.'

'And the fellas have come to see you off? That's nice,' said the woman. 'I admire you both. It's a valuable thing you're doing. If I were younger I'd probably do the same myself. Beats this job. Still it won't be for long. I'm standing in for my Bertie while he's away fighting.'

Ellen suddenly had an idea and realised that the conductor might be able to help, so didn't waste any time taking that opportunity.

'I hope you don't mind me asking, but you wouldn't happen to know the whereabouts of the Wrens' base in London?'

This baffled the conductor.

'You're going all the way to London to join the Wrens and you don't know where they're based? I would have thought they'd have sent you a letter with their address on it.'

'They did,' lied Ellen. 'This is going to make us sound stupid, but we did both get letters. Only we agreed that I'd be the one to bring mine and in all the panic this morning to catch the train I left it on the sideboard. I'm so foolish and I bet Mum is at home now holding the letter thinking the same about me.'

The look on the conductor's face made Ellen squirm a little as she couldn't tell if it was suspicion, sympathy or discomfort from tight-fitting clothing.

'And you don't remember anything about the address, other than it being in London?'

Ellen did not reply but gave a wince and a shoulder shrug, reiterating how stupid she felt. The conductor looked at Marianne who mimicked Ellen with a similar silent gesture.

'I'm not that familiar with London, but the driver knows it like the back of his hand. So when we next have a lengthy stop at a station I'll ask him if he knows.'

'If you don't mind that would be very kind of you,' said an extremely grateful Marianne, politely.

The woman gave them all a jolly smile and slid back the door. They waited for her to leave the compartment and closed the door again before they spoke.