X; Chapter Ten

X
I'm Engaged
~CHAPTER TEN~
________________________________

"I'm what!" Tom shouted frightening everyone in the vicinity

"Yes, Tom. Did your father not tell you? He had it approved by everyone in parliament this morning. Of course we all approved, Miss Hartland is a Princess after all." David Teill said

"I'm sure he did." Tom said, his voice laced with anger. "I think it's time for everyone to turn in, and retire to their proper homes, and rooms. It's getting late after all." You could clearly see his anger building as he stared directly, not even subtly at his father. Everyone of course did as they were told, leaving the premises immediately. However, you were curious, for you hadn't ever seen your friend that angry. It pained you to hear about the engagement in the first place, so you wanted to hear his reaction. You currently were hiding on the other side in the next room, which had a joint vent where you could hear everything. You, Tom, and Haz learned this when all of you were little, and would spy on everyone that went into that part of the palace.

"What were you thinking Father! For once I thought that you might've done something right for once, just maybe. No, like always when I think you see things as they should be, you let me down." He yelled "How do you think I felt when that was brought upon me? Did you expect me to be jumping up and down giddily saying 'Thank you father, I'm not smart enough to find someone to love myself.' What is wrong with you, don't you understand I hate the woman. I will be living in hell, everyday for years! It was bad enough having to deal with her tonight. Why can't I-  "

"I'm sorry Tom, I really am. You have to have a wife to rule, that is the custom that has been there centuries. I'm sorry but the one that you like, maybe even love, isn't a princess. They do not allow anyone who isn't born into a royal family, marry royalty even if they claim a title." Dominic said calmly

"What? Who are you talking about? I just absolutely despise Jessica." Tom said slowly starting to calm down

"Tom, your falling for Y/N. I can see it by the way you look at her, and maybe you don't know it yourself yet. That's why it hurt so much when you received this news Tom, I know. The way she looked at you tonight when Jessica said it, didn't help the matter either." He replied

"I- Bloody Hell, you may be right. I think I am falling for her, and I can't stop it. I don't think a friend whose suppose to think of her like a sister, would be thinking how beautiful she is, or how much you want to kiss her." Tom admitted, making your heart beat faster at his confession, even if it wasn't to your face.

"I'm sorry Tom, I know you feel very strongly about her but there is no other way- " He said as he put his hand on Tom's shoulder

"Then I'll abdicate, she'll be better for the kingdom anyway. She's better then some guy who can't think straight because everytime he looks at this girl his hands get all sweaty, or his heart beats faster. I can't rule the kingdom, I can't do it Father. I care to much about her to let her go." He said

"Don't be rash Tom, you've always wanted to be King. It's what you've always prepared for, and looked foward too."  Dominic stated firmly

"I don't care, me being with her weighs in more than me getting to be a monarch." Tom replied "It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to be with her. The throne will go to Y/N, which means she'll be a Queen. I will still be a Prince, so it'll be fine. This is the way this is going to play out, Father."

"You realize that even if she reciprocates these feelings, she will always be the one to make the decisions. You will never get to make them, you will always be second. Plus, who's to say that if this happens she'll even make you a 'Consort'." He said

"It's a risk I'm willing to make, and I will take the consequences whatever they may be."

"Tom, I will not see my son give up everything just for a girl." Dominic said

"A girl who I thought you cared for as a daughter." He said "She may be just a girl to you, but she is everything to me."

"I won't let you do this, son."

"And I won't let you make my decisions for me." Tom replied as he began to walk away.

"I demand you to stop this instant. You, young man will not leave till I say. This isn't going to happen, especially when I tell parliament the real reason."

"Parliament can't stop me, neither can you." He said sternly "You may rule this kingdom right now, but you don't rule me. As, far as I'm concerned this conversations over." You could hear Tom storm off, and slam the door. You got up, and made a dash out of the room as fast as you could, trying your best not to think about what just happened. Everything doesn't always go as planned, unfortunately. Just as you almost made it past the other room to dash up the stairs, you bumped straight into Tom.

Almost instantaneously, the both of you were plummeting to the ground. You quickly closed your eyes as you braced for impact, but it never came. You slowly opened your eyes to see that strong arms were wrapped around your waist, while bold brown eyes were staring upon yours. Your breath hitched at how close you were to Tom. You were at a loss for words, but you quickly regained your confidence to speak.

"You caught me?" You stuttered, which came out more as a question than a statement.

"I'll always catch you, Y/N." Tom said

AN: hehehhe I just love cliffhangers don't I? Luckily the next chapter will be up in a couple of hours😂😂😂 will Tom find out what she did or will she get away with her eavesdropping?