Chapter 3. Calm Before the Storm

(Alex's Pov)

There were only a couple inns around the town, and only one or which was reasonably priced. After following the noisy gravel road, we pulled up into the parking lot of the Hedgepath Inn. It was a small condo of two stories, small windows with white carved shutters and had a very western feel to it, which was only reinforced by the ranch nearby, owned by the same family most likely, and a small, old fashioned house beside the condo. I stepped out of the car, the dust of the ground already sticking to my boots.

Jake smiled, "Let's go." He sternly, though jokingly as he bumped my shoulder and went to the front office of the condo. Inside, it had a long thin table that was L shaped, with a small kitchen behind it and chairs placed on the outer part. The room was alive with chatter as the manager and what looked to be employee were relaxing, having dinner with a guest.

"Are you two here to purchase a room?" The girl asked the us with a rather professional tone.

"Yeah, how much will a two bedroom be?" Jake asked the girl, fumbling with his wallet. The girl smiled, "25 per night. By the way, I'm Grace Hedgepath." She introduced, then motioned to the employee, "This is our cook and cashier, Arthur, if you need anything and I'm not around, ask him." She said, Arthur waving while flashing a cool smile before going back to eating his dinner.

"I'm Jake, and this is my buddy Alex. We're only going to be here for the night, we'll be leaving tomorrow, we're trying to connect with our family. " I looked over to him, a little nervous with his story, as it was so close to how it really was. He placed down the pay and Grace collected it before placing it into the cash register. "You two hungry? The food's free for guests." She asked with a polite smile, the words were music to our ears.

I eagerly nodded, "Hell yeah we are," earning a look from Jake who wasn't a fan of my manners, however Grace noticed and just laughed before bringing us both a helping of what had been made for dinner. I felt my heart flutter as my eyes met with the love I never knew I had lost. Biscuits and gravy, with actual beef.

I muttered a 'thank you' to Grace absent mindedly before I began to dig in, distantly hearing Jake facepalm and Grace laugh as she found amusement in the behavior. I couldn't care less. I felt like, for a second, I was home again.

(????'s Pov)

I hissed softly as I helped lug out the body from the ship's ramp, gripping the smaller Yautja's shoulders as a subordinate gripped it's legs. Getting to a decent distance, we tossed it aside onto the dusty ground beside the slope of a mountain.

"That's the last of them." I notified the subordinate, staring down at the unconscious form and it's rough strained breaths. Glancing to the other bodies, another Yautja and five humans. I grinned to myself. Ma-kiri'nakdon, the wretch that killed my mentor, would pay. Most dearly, with either his life, or his ever so dear apprentices.

The subordinate then spoke up, seeing the chest of one of the humans twitching somewhat. "We should get going before they hatch. We don't want to have a repeat of last time." He said warningly. I sighed, not in the mood to leave so soon, wanting to watch Ma-kiri'nakdon's anguish from here, and not from the atmosphere. "There should be enough young Kiande Amedha here already to start a hive. With these few, our victory is assured." Hatred yet glee filling me as I boarded the ship.