[Chapter 15]: Push it down

"(Y/n)? What's the matter?" Todoroki huffed, stretching out his sore muscles. "You seem distracted today?"

"WHO ME?! PFFFFTTTT I'M NOT DISTRACTED AT ALL." You awkwardly laughed.

"... You're holding your water bottle upside down..."

Water began to pool at your feet. Quickly, you turned it back over, eyes darting away from your friend in a hurry.

Lately, it had gotten worse. You found your heartbeat constantly pacing and your cheeks flaring. You were definitely distracted by every little thing Todoroki did.

"You know, we can stop for today if you're not feeling well." The boy nonchalantly said.

"OH PLEASE, I AM A PICTURE OF HEALTH!" You grinned, waving your hand about in a strange fashion.

It was obvious that he didn't by it. Todoroki stepped towards you with concerned eyes.

"Your face is really red again. Do you have a cold?" There was a sweet ring in his voice as he pressed his palm to your forehead.

BA-DUMP

There it is again...

"I-I'm fine..." You meekly grinned, practically frozen from the brief contact.

"If you insist." He removed his hand and backed away. "Are you ready to go again?"

You took a deep breath to calm your racing heart before lifting your arms before you in a defensive position.

Push it down.

"Ready!"

- - -

Dear mom,

These past few weeks have been utterly exhausting but so amazing at the same time. Todoroki and I have been training our butts off almost every day after school in preparation for the UA sports festival. Lately, we've focused primarily on the physical. He's a really good teacher too. I feel like I could even take you on in a fist fight at this point! But I'm definitely convinced that I'm gonna be sore for the rest of my life. It's pretty cool that Todoroki sometimes takes his shirt off when we're training though. Who knew he was hiding such a dreamy bod under-

"Wait... WHAT THE HELL AM I WRITING!?" You screamed in despair upon realizing what you had just written in pen. Frantically, you crumpled up the draft and tossed it across your room. "UGHHHH I'm losing my damn mind!"

You plopped face first onto your bed, groaning against the covers. Kuro lept up and crawled onto your back. He took a moment to turn in a circle a few times before snuggling down into your shirt.

"Kuro?" You huffed.

"Meow?"

"Do I have a crush on Todoroki?"

"Meow meow."

"UGHHHHH I KNOW!" You shoved your face into your pillow and kicked your feet behind you. "I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT HIM ALL WEEK! I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!"

You had some crushes just like anyone else throughout your life, but never on someone like Shouto Todoroki. Huffing into the pillow, you rolled over, sending Kuro onto the cushion next to you with a soft thud. He rolled up on you and released soft, sweet purrs.

"He's way out of my league..." You sighed, holding your hand up to block your ceiling light from your eyes. "Someone like me... could never be good enough for someone like him..."

There was a serene silence. The world seemly paused and gave you a moment to collect your racing thoughts.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"(Y/n) open up." A familiar voice called from outside your apartment. You lept up from your bed, dragging yourself over to the door before opening it.

"Good evening Grandpa Satou. What's up?"

"Your mother sent you a check for your rent this month." He grouchily huffed, practically smacking your face with the paper.

"Thank goodness!" You grinned in relief, taking the check from him. "It's later than usual! Thought I was gonna be out on the street!" You giggled.

"Kyoko wouldn't let that happen." The old man sighed. "Now did you eat dinner tonight?"

"Eh?" Truth be told you had been so distracted by your recently developed crush that you didn't even think about it. "I haven't yet..."

"Go eat something you idiot child." The side of his hand came down on top of your head softly. It was never in a violent manner, more so out of concern.

"I will." You smiled towards him. "Thanks for looking out for me!"

The man pulled away and shoved his hands into his pockets, allowing an audible click to escape his lips.

"I ain't lookin' out for you ya damn brat." He retorted. "And don't even think about going to that dingy ass bar tonight. It's dangerous."

Pffftttt, there he goes contradicting himself again.

You closed the door, tossing the check onto your desk. Sinking back down into your bed, you allowed Kuro to crawl onto your lap.

Annnnnd I'm instantly thinking about Todo again...

"Meow."

"Hey now, don't call me out like that ya jerk!" You scoffed, pinching the small creature's cheeks.

"Mroooowwww."

"I'M NOT THINKING ABOUT HIM OBVIOUSLY!"

Kuro continued to meow in protest as if having a conversation with you.

"DON'T USE THAT LANGUAGE WITH ME! YOU'RE A CAT, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTRICACIES OF HUMAN EMOTION!"

"...Are you yelling at your cat?" Ai called out from your windowsill.

And now I look like a crazy person...

"You know you could have just come to the front door..." You scoffed as you stroked Kuro's back.

"And you know, you should really lock your windows." She chuckled. Ai crossed her arms in front of her body and leaned up against the wall. "You coming downtown tonight? Everyone's waiting for you."

I almost forgot.

"Yeah, I'm coming. Sorry..." You laughed lightly. The girl tilted her head, a bit perplexed by your response.

"You okay?" She questioned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit tired lately." You sighed.

"Stay here for tonight then. I'm worried about you wearing yourself out." Ai offered with a concerned voice.

"I can't do that. There are people who need me." You retorted, standing up from your bed and stretching out your arms. "Let me grab my things, I'll be out in a second!"

Ai peered at you for a moment before shrugging and exiting out the window. You stood quietly for a moment as your mind drifted back to reality.

This is my world, I need to remember that. I don't have the luxury to pursue romance anyways...

You grabbed your things and gave Kuro a few pats before heading towards the door.

"It's alright... It's just a tiny crush after all ." You quietly mumbled with furrowed brows.

"I can push it down."