Chapter 3

Alec's POV:

"It's been a week since we moved in. And, I'm already in love with this town. Everything's perfect. Luke and I moved into our new office and are already working on a case. Max loves his new school and has already found friends. Isabelle's designs have been selected by an international company.  Jace's already solved a murder and has got a good reputation. Everything's okay", I think, lying in my bed.

"And you already have a crush on your neighbour", a voice in my head says.

"No. I don't", I reply.

"Admit it, you think he's hot", it says.

"Just because I think he's hot doesn't mean I have a crush on him. Crushes are for thirteen year olds", I say.

"Ask him out. What could happen? ", it says.

"He could be straight. I'd be embarrassed for the rest of my life", I say.

"Or he may say yes and you both could fall in love", it says.

"Oh god! Shut up", I say.

"Alright. But, no one can stop what's gonna happen, just saying", the voice says.

I turn to my side and I hear someone cough. I get up and rush towards Max's bedroom.

"Max? ", I say softly as I sit down on his bed.

He coughs again, this time more loudly.

"Max? Are you okay? ", I ask and bend forward to touch his forehead.

"Alec", he says softly.

"Don't worry, Max. I'll make the fever go away somehow", I say.

"Jesus", I say and go to my bedroom. I search frantically for the medicine box, throwing away files and papers.

"Where the hell is the medicine box? ", I think.

-------------------- Flashback ----------------------

Three days ago,

"Hey Alec, how was work today? ", Isabelle asks as I enter our house.

"Good. Yours? ", I ask.

"Excellent", she says.

"What's up with your favorite neighbour? No one hardly sees him", I say.

"Oh! He's a doctor. So, he's busy at times", she says.

"I never knew that", I say.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Magnus! He's a doctor. He'll know what to do", I think.

I rush towards his house and ring the doorbell.

"Um yeah? ", Magnus says, opening the door after a minute, rubbing his eyes.

"Magnus! Magnus! It's Max. He has a fever. Do something", I say, grabbing his collar.

"Alright. I'll be there in a moment", he says and rushes inside his house.

"God, please not Max", I think and pace his room.

"I'm here", Magnus says as he enters Max's bedroom and I nod at him.

"Hey Max. This is Magnus. Your brother told me you've a fever. Let's take your temperature, okay buddy? ", he asks and Max nods slowly.

He places a thermometer in Max's mouth and takes it out.

"Okay, you've a slight temperature but nothing serious", he says.

"Alec? Put some ice in a cloth and bring it", he says and I rush out of the room.

I put some ice in a cloth and rush towards his bedroom.

He places it over Max's forehead and says, "The fever will be gone even before you know it".

Magnus jerks his head towards the door and both of us walk out.

Magnus's POV:

"He's okay, isn't he? ", he asks as soon as walk out of his room.

"He's perfectly normal. It's just a small fever. I'll give you a tonic, for the fever. Make sure he wears warm clothes and eats properly", I say and see his face become normal again.

He looks like someone who had gone mad when he rang my doorbell. He managed to look hot even at that time though.

"Thank you so much, Magnus. I'm sorry I troubled you in the middle of the night. I was scared, terrrified when Max had a temperature and I suddenly thought of you", he says.

"It's quite alright, Alexander. I'm a doctor. This is my job", I say.

"Still, thank you", he says, looking away, probably embarrassed over his hysterical behavior.

"I'll go get the tonic for you", I say and walk towards my house.

"God, Magnus. You're twenty five. Get a grip on yourself", I say to myself and search for the tonic.

"Here you go", I say, handing him the tonic.

"Thanks again", he says, looking at me in the eye.

"Do you want me to stay? ", I ask and he turns a faint pink.

"Wrong usage of words", I think and mentally facepalm me.

"No, I think Max will be quite alright",  he says.

"Okay. But, wake me up if he gets worse. He won't, but if he does. Call me", I say.

"I don't have your number", he says.

"Okay. Here's my number", I say, scribbling on a piece of paper.

"Alright", he says.

"I'll check on him in the morning. Don't worry, he'll be perfectly fine", I say.

"Okay. Let me walk you to your house", he says.

"I live opposite you", I say, raising an eyebrow at him.

"You saved my brother's life", he says.

"It was a fever", I say.

"Still", he says.

"Your family is everything to you, isn't it? ", I ask, turning and looking at him.

"Family is everything I have, Magnus", he says.

"Goodnight, Alexander", I say after deciding that the silence was getting uncomfortable.

"Goodnight, Magnus", he says and walks away and I look at him walking away. Both of us smile at each other as we close our doors.