Chapter 9

My heart dropped. "Charlie, I need you to go to your room."

"What? Why?" He asked.

"Just go! Now!" Charlie ran up the stairs and I ran into the bathroom to look in the mirror to see if it was true. Sure enough, they were golden, an unnatural golden just like Bradley had said.

I locked the door and started pacing. A million thoughts were running through my head. My hands started shaking and my breath was growing short. I looked in the mirror again. My eyes were even more gold. My heart rate began to increase even more, and as it did, my hands started shaking uncontrollably. Then, out of no where, they stopped instantly.

But only for a second.

Black smoke started shooting out of my palms and it started to surround me. I tried to make it stop but I couldn't. The smoke was filling up the room quickly. I went for the door knob to try and escape but the door wouldn't open. Something was keeping it closed.

My lungs were filling up with smoke and it was getting hard to breathe. I had to find a way out. I reached into my pocket for my phone to call Bradley. Being as smoke was currently coming out of my hands, it was hard to use my hands, but not impossible. I had to set the phone on the counter and I was really only able to use one finger, but I was able to find his number and call him.

"What?" He asked in a stern tone. It caused tears to sting my eyes, remembering what had happened only about half an hour before. It wasn't until I tried to speak that I realized I barely could.

"Help me." was all I was able to mutter out.

"I don't think you need my help. You seem to be doing just fine on your own." Tears began to fall from my eyes. "You know Jenn, you really hurt me. I know that we're both going through the same stuff and all right now, but I think it would be best if we solved it on our own."

"Bradley, please." I was kneeling on the floor now, unable to stand because of the smoke and my tears.

"Bye, Jenn." I heard the phone click off. I felt my heart break.

The bathroom was nearly pitch black from all the smoke. I decided to try the door again. I pulled and pulled but as the room got darker, I lost more and more hope. At one last attempt, I pulled on the door as hard as I could. To my surprise, the door opened with little resist. I fell backwards, revealing my brother standing at the door. "You've been in there forever!" He yelled as he started to walk in.

"Charlie, no!" I yelled pushing him out.

"What? I have to pee!" he shouted back.

"You can't go in there with all the smoke!" I said with concern, not even worried if he could see the tear stains and continuously flowing tears.

"What smoke?" He asked. I turned around to see that the smoke was gone.

"Oh, um, never-mind." I said and moved out of the way. "I'm gonna go on a walk. Don't be stupid and don't break anything." He nodded and I grabbed my jacket and walked out the door.

The second I stepped outside and closed the door, I broke down. However I continued to walk, so that my brother wouldn't walk outside and see me. I didn't know where I was going, I just kept walking.

After about twenty minutes I had to stop walking. Bradley's words kept repeating in my head. I was alone now. The one person who understood what was happening doesn't want to be a part of my life anymore. I sat on the curb and tried to steady my breathing and stop my tears. "Jenn?" I heard someone mumble from behind me, almost too quiet to hear. I turned around to see the one and only Bradley. I stood up immediately and wiped my tears.

"What?" I said sternly, trying to keep myself from breaking down again just at seeing him.

"Um, are you okay?" I laughed lightly, surprising him.

"Like you care." I said while rolling my eyes, trying to make myself seem strong.

"We may not be friends anymore, but you're still a human. If anyone was sitting on my curb crying I would ask what was wrong. Don't take it personally." He said, filled with attitude. "Now, either tell me what happened, or just leave already."

"You know, had this happened a few hours ago, I 100% would have told you. But you kept something from me, so now I'm going to keep something from you." I said as I started to turn and walk away.

"You keep everything from me!" He yelled. "You're so mysterious! I don't know anything about you! I know that there is something you aren't telling me! But what, you think by keeping whatever it is that made you cry is gonna hurt me?! Just, just leave."

"What?" I muttered, tears filling my eyes once again.

"Just leave! Get out of my life! Go run home to your brother or your parents that you never talk about!" I felt a lump in my throat as those final words left his lips. We stood and stared at each other for a few seconds. I felt many tears run down my cheeks as he looked at me with confusion and annoyance.

"I really wish I could Parker." I said with a shaky voice. He stepped closer to me, actually very concerned.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, worry growing in his voice.

"My parents are dead." I said for the first time in my life. His face dropped and the realization of how much he messed up had set in.

"Oh jeez, Jenn. Im sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I was just mad."

"I know, and I'm sorry too. The truth is, I want to be with you too. But being with me causes trouble. I don't want to involve you in my drama." I said, slowly calming down.

"We have the same drama, and we can only get through it together." He moved closer to me and moved a strand of hair behind my ear. "I want to be with you, no matter what drama comes with it." he pulled me in for a kiss. It wasn't a peck, it was full of passion.

When we pulled apart, he looked into my eyes as I looked into his. "We're a mess." I mumbled with a slight laugh.

"Yes we are." He said with a smile. I was squinting my eyes because of the sun light. "Here." he said as he switched places with me so he blocked the light. "Better?" he asked.

"Much better." I said as I pecked him on the lips.

Then, it happened.

Neither of us payed attention to the sound of a car speeding around the corner. Neither of us thought anything of it. Behind Bradley, I saw the car coming down the street. The window was rolling down but I thought nothing of it.

Until I saw a gun being pointed out of the car.

And hears the gunshot.

A/N-- Okay so i know this is early but I really wanted to get this up because I'm so excited for you all to read this! See you next week!