Chapter 4

"Miss Klassen?"

Greta set her sandwich on her desk without having taken a bite. She glanced up at the boy standing by her desk. It was her week to have students who were disciplined and had to stay in for recess in her room. Right now, seven children were sitting in various seats, well away from each other to discuss talking. Well, six children were sitting, because Patrick was now standing by her desk. "What is it, Patrick?"

"I don't know the answer."

Greta closed her eyes so she could roll them freely without the boy seeing. She had, in the month she had been working, come to know the students of the school quite well. She had Patrick in two of her classes and knew he hated to work at all. If he could get the teacher to give him the answer, he would. Greta had yet to give in to Patrick's way of skating through school, but Patrick tried it every time. "It's in the book, Patrick. I put all the answers in the book before I gave it to you."

"I looked, Miss Klassen."

She didn't doubt the veracity of his statement, but she did doubt the time and skill he had put into looking for the answer. "Patrick, I will show you were the answer is," Greta stated, "but you will have to write out the paragraph two times."

"But it's not in there," he insisted. "I looked."

"Then you should have no worries that I might find it there. If you are certain it's not there, then you will have nothing to write."

Not wanting to take a chance that the paragraph may be a long and time-consuming one to write, Patrick shuffled back to his desk with his book and paper and slumped into the seat. When he caught Greta watching him, he quickly straightened up and focused again on the paper.

Greta kept her eye on Patrick until she saw the light bulb in his head click on. He had found the answer he had been certain was nowhere in the book. Shaking her head slightly at his stubbornness, she once more picked up her sandwich.

"Miss Klassen?"

Once more Greta set her sandwich down. This time her name was being called from just outside her classroom. Patricia Collins, the assistant secretary for the school, stood just outside the classroom door. Greta stood up, smoothing down her skirt. Her heels clicked on the floors as she crossed her room. "Yes, Mrs. Collins."

"Ms. Foster would like to see you in the office. I will sit in your classroom."

Greta nodded her head and started for the stairs which were, blessedly, across the hall from her classroom. She could have taken the elevator, but her claustrophobia prevented her from even giving the ride a thought. The halls were freakishly quiet for the middle of the day. All the students were either at lunch or recess depending on the schedule. She stepped into the outer office and smiled at Heather Gilmore, the secretary.

"Go right in, Greta," Heather's sweet voice said. "They're waiting for you."

They? The word startled Greta enough that she didn't move for a second. She seriously hoped that she wasn't going to have to face those fifteen men again. She wasn't a big fan of Alexander, but she did have to admit that it was his power that kept that post-interview meeting from happening. She was grateful for that.

Shaking her head to clear it of past thoughts, Greta squared her shoulders and headed for the office door clearly marked 'Headmistress Foster'. Knocking once to announce her presence, Greta pushed open the door. "You asked to see me, Karolynn."

"Yes, Greta, thank you for coming so quickly. There is a small problem."

"It is not a small problem," the growled words came from the behind Greta.