The cavalry

The helicopter that Slivko piloted had crashed into the thicket, near the area where the LANDSAT team had installed mapping devices. His body ached, but despite the scratches and bruises, he was whole and conscious. With his breath still raced, he took off his helmet, unbuckled his belt, picked up the radio and tried to establish contact with his mates.

"Calling all units," said going to one side and another for better reception. "Is anybody airborne? I repeat, is anybody airborne?"

But the only thing he received as respond was the sound of the static. «God dammit!» he thought as horrible images went through his head at high speed. He tried to stay focus, but it was hard.

"They're all down," said Conrad "Every one of them"

Slivko felt his soul leave his body. The images became stronger. He saw his friends being shot down, hurt and bleeding. He saw Meg wounded, unconscious and trapped in the wreckage of the plane.

"We're on the south side of the island" continued Conrad addressing the group. "There's a river a couple of klicks from here. If we stik to its banks, we'll make it to the exfil site on the north shore"

Neither he nor Weaver were injured; and Nieves, Brooks, and San were also fine. But Slivko didn't have time for them. He only could think on Meg. He needed to know that she was alright. He reviewed the events, trying to find some explanation, something that would give him hope. But nothing made sense.

"So, wait!" Said when saw that the group prepared to get ongoing "are we just not gonna talk about this?"

"My best guess is we're scattered over a four to five-mile radius" continued Conrad ignoring him. "We should head north and join anyone we find."

"We're really not gonna talk about it?" repeated Slivko looking at everyone. "You know this is not normal, right? Stuff like that doesn't just happen!" said pointing up in the air.

But it seemed that nobody had anything to say. Everyone seemed way to calm for Slivko. Could they not understand the seriousness of the matter? Why was he the only one on the verge of collapse? He could feel his blood pressure rising. He took his head with both hands, pulled at his hair and then stared at the sky. It couldn't be possible, «she had to be safe» thought and then felt a hand on his shoulder.

"If she's alive, we'll find her," said Conrad.

"If?" Answered Slivko in a cold tone and felt the urge to punch him in the face. "She is" Added with a certainty that didn't know where it came from.

"Of course," said Conrad trying to emend his mistake.

Slivko held back and turn to pick up his M-16 when memories hit him hard. He remembered the first time he took Meg to his place. They were in their senior year and Slivko had the house for himself on a weakened. So he thought it would be a good opportunity to had a nice moment together -if you know what it means-. They still were not in a serious relationship, and he just wanted to have some fun. But, when she saw the collection of shotguns of his father she felt so sick that throw up in the carpet. It was the worst date ever, but since then, they became inseparable. It was an odd thing, but it felt so right. He remembered the promise he made to himself, he would keep her safe, and look after her. But he had failed so many times since then. He had to find her. «Last mission, soldier,» told to himself.

«Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!» Megan too was struggling with herself. Her head weighed and hurt. But more weighed and hurt not know anything about Reg. Every time his name crossed her mind, her heart squeezed. «Once again,» she thought «it is happening all over again». Her body stirred as she recalled their last moments. How silly and proud she had been!