Chapter Eight: The Witching Hour

*** 8:00P.M. Adam Scott's residence ***

Pulling up in the driveway we get Connie inside quickly. Chris gets her settled on the couch as I grab Devan and lead him into the kitchen.

"Is there anything you can do to hide our location or at least Connie's. She's been through too much already."

"I can try Adam, but Mara's become more powerful than she was a hundred years ago. I'm sorry, but the best way to keep her safe... is to use the dagger. Otherwise we've already lost." He turns and begins climbing the stairs.

Standing in the doorway, frustrated, I throw out my hand and the toaster explodes. 

"Great... just great..." I think as Chris rushes into the room.

"What happened?" She whispers.  I point toward the smoking toaster, she looks at it, and turns back to me shaking her head, "You know Connie's in the next room. What if she'd walked in when you did that?" Crossing her arms she gives me the look.

"I know, I'll be more careful next time."

"You, Careful?" She starts walking back toward the living room, "like a bull in a china shop." I can't help but grin a little, but that fades quickly as I think of Devan's words, and what I have to do...

Hearing the back door close I draw my weapon and head that way.  Stepping outside I hear something around the corner of the house.  Easing around the edge I point my weapon at... Devan.  He's on his knees mixing up something.

"Adam, I would appreciate it if you would holster that gun." He says without even looking up.  I do as I'm shaking my head.

"What're you doing?"

"I'm doing what I can, remember?"  He continues mixing powders until he has what he wants and stands up.  "Now, let's spread this around the house."

We each take a jar and go in opposite directions and meet up around front to complete a rough circle.  "This should help protect us for a while, but it won't last long."

"That reminds me. How did Mara get inside her Aunt's house without being invited in?"  Devan looks up and grins.

"It's another one of those thousand year old rules isn't it?"

"Actually it's two thousand."

"Oh, well if that's all..."

Devan's face seems to harden, "If a member of a family lives that the Black Eyed Children have visited, then wherever they go... evil too can follow. You know what this means don't you my friend?"

"Yeah... I'm afraid I do. Once she locates Connie and breaks your circle, Mara can walk right in and it will be up to us to stop her."

"Keep the dagger close to you and let's go inside," he looks up at the sky. "I've got a feeling tonight may bring evil our way." We hurry inside and bolt the door.

*** 11:00 p.m. ***

Chris is sitting on the couch as Connie returns from the kitchen with a bottled water.  It appears she's finally calmed down from what happened earlier.

I've been too restless to sit down so I've walked the house from the back door to the front about a hundred times.

"Adam if you don't sit down for at least five minutes so help me I'm gonna..."

"Alright... Alright." I sit down on the arm of my chair across from them, lay the dagger on the table and lean forward.

Chris has a funny look on her face, "I've known you for a long time and I've never seen you so nervous. Is there something else I should know?"