The Slime

Feldman: The slime is the vampire blood. And the reason we don't call it vampire blood is that they didn't want to call it vampire blood. They were like, "No, no, no, if we call it vampire blood it's gonna be an R-rating. So you gotta call it slime. It's vampire slime." And we're like, "Okay, that's cool, whatever you wanna do! Whatever your trip is, we'll roll along with it." But in the end they got the R-rating anyway, so...

Jamison: The one thing about the slime I remember is the bathroom scene. A lot of slime. And the worst part was between takes, sitting in the slime. At one point Feldman and I actually got stuck together. We were lying there in the same spot waiting for them to light the scene and we literally couldn't move. It was miserable. 

Feldman: They were like, "Get closer, act terrified!" And we were like, "We can't get any closer dude. If we get any closer it's gonna be a different kind of movie."

Jamison:  When you watch the scene, you can see that I look like I'm literally crying my eyes out. I was just so eeked out by being literally stuck to Feldman that once the cameras started rolling, I told myself that the only way we were going to get out of the slime was to get this scene.

Feldman: Oh, the goop was fun. :)

Haim: It was fun. And we're boys too, y'know, so...it was really fun :D

Feldman: We like goop!

Haim: Goopy dudes!!

Feldman: Goopy-doopey!!

Feldman:  Okay, so what happened was...to make this not look like blood (because they wanted to stay away from the idea that it was blood,) they made up this stuff that was, like, blood-coloured, and then they put brown stuff in it so that it was darker than blood. And THEN they threw glitter in it! I was like, "What the hell is this glitter for, are we going to a rave?" And they were like, "No. This is to make it pick up on camera so that it's more...attractive, so that it's glisteny. And I'm like, "Okay! Nobody's gonna notice that, but whatever."

So, they literally had trash can-sized tubs full of this stuff. And we were doing this movie on multiple sound stages because obviously, it was a big production. So as we're doing this, one scene will be post-slime, and one scene will be pre-slime. So they'd literally hose us down with the slime and we'd do the scene. Then, they would let us shower, cos Richard Donner's office had a shower. And then we'd have to go and get cleaned up and then do a scene where it's pre-slime, which means we're completely clean.

So, we scrub everything off, they clean us off, shampoo us, blow-dry us, put make-up back on, second costume, and THEN (here's the best part) go back to the main set where we were in the slime again. So then you gotta get all the cold, wet, slimy clothes that are all, like, crusted and dry and just NASTY. You've gotta slide those back on your body and get a bunch of slime dumped on your head... It was very exhausting. And then we had to do it all over again!!

Jamison: Getting re-slimed was one of the difficult parts. It was just like, "AGH! C'mon!

Feldman: I was like, "Really?? Do I really have to do this? Couldn't you have just shot everything with pre-slime at the same time?!" But no.

Jamison: They're like, "No, it's Hollywood. It's movie-making. C'mon."

Feldman: "LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! Do it and LOVE IT!"

Jamison:  Like, "I DO, I DO! I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!! Okay?!"