three

"maybe someday you'll be somewhere talking to me as if you knew me saying, "i'll be home for next year, darling. i'll be home for next year."

now, it's been almost three years since the morning i turned and walked away from the love of my life, awsten knight. i couldn't live another year without you, awsie. i told you i'd be home two years ago. so today, here i finally am, walking down the roads of houston, texas. tomorrow will be exactly three years. and i need to find you before then. have you moved on? have you forgotten me? i don't know. but none of that even matters, i just need to see you.

"maybe sometime, in a long time, you'll remember what i had said. i said, "i'll be home for next year, darling. i'll be home for next year."

by the morning, i arrived at your front door. at least i hope it's still your front door. i hope you hasn't moved. god knows what i'd do then.
i knocked on the door for the first time in three years, and moments later, a boy with faded blue hair opened it. his mismatched eyes met mine, god how i've missed those eyes. "geoff?" he speaks, and don't even get me started on how much i missed that voice. i pulled him in for a hug and he instantly hugged back. there we stayed for hours, on his front porch step, hugging and talking as if i never left.

"maybe someday you'll be be somewhere talking to me as if you knew me saying, i'll be home for next year, darling. i'll be home for next year."