2. The Unexpected Guest

Uncle Jensen. He was my mother's baby brother. Like, really, he was her baby brother. He was closer to my age then her age.

Today I turned 16, he turned 26 in May, my mother was going to be 39 in September.

Pretty big age gap, but whatever.

Anyways, I hadn't seen my uncle since I was, oh, probably 8. He just disappeared, my mom was always worried. That's probably why she ended up spending more and more time at work.

He was pretty great. Tall, handsome, I guess. Nat had a crush on him. Cliche, I know, but she doesn't seem to think so.

He looked at me with his big blue eyes and then looked past me. I heard a clang and turned to see my dad, he dropped a spoon but held on tight to the bowl of pancake mix.

"Jensen?" His eyebrow was raised but more in a confused way than an intimidating way.

"If it isn't my favorite brother-in-law! Well....my only brother-in-law...." He stood in the doorway in thought. I pulled him in by the coat and shut the door.

"Who is it?" I heard Sam ask from the kitchen. It took Nat a second, but she answered, out of breath.

"It's her Uncle. Jensen." I rolled my eyes and saw them peek their heads around the corner.

My dad pulled Uncle Jensen into a bone-crushing hug and they laughed.

"Where've you been? We all thought you were lost forever!"

"Except mom...." I said. They looked at me and Uncle Jensen smiled.

"Of course she didn't. How could she forget about her favorite brother."

"C'mon into the kitchen. I'm making breakfast now." My dad led him into the kitchen and Sam and Nat ducked back around the corner. I sighed, remembering that I was expecting mom. But, I was happy Uncle Jensen was here for my birthday. I just wish mom was here, too.

I went back the kitchen and sat down in my seat. Dad and Uncle Jensen started talking, catching up and such. From what I gathered, Uncle Jensen went on a road trip. Didn't know where he was going, just started driving. He got pretty far from Malibu, said he saw a lot of state signs, but he soon got his car, wallet, and phone stollen. He never had a good memory so he couldn't remember anybody's number. That's when he met a girl, Jewels. It was love at first sight, he put it. He spent his years there. Never tried to call or write, never tried to get back home. He just decided to stay in this small town I can't remember the name of. I was a little hurt and I knew he could tell

"Moms not gonna like your story when you see her."

"Oh, is she coming?" The excitement in his voice hurt me. No, Uncle Jensen, I don't know where she is.

"No." My dad put my thoughts into words. "She's in Vermont."

"Oh." He lowered his gaze. "Still taking pictures?"

"Yep. She's doing some work for National Geographic." I looked at Nat to see her smiling and drooling at Uncle Jensen. I elbowed her and she looked at me, startled.

"That's good. At least she's doing what she loves."

"So, where are you staying, Jensen?" Nat asked. I squinted at her, trying to figure our her motives.

"Uhh, well, Natasha, I'm kinda wandering. I just wanted to stop by to see Trin. I'm actually saving up some cash to get an apartment I just quit some intern job and am starting a cashier job in a few days."

"Well, you can always stay at my house if you need to. It's still a little chilly out." She offered. I squinted even more. Sam and I made eye contact and we put the pieces together.