a stranger

The sun has already kissed the horizon. The now-black canvas above was filled with dots of white paint. They were beautiful, handmade by God. They twinkle brightly as the night continued to succumb. No animals could be seen as they had already taken refuge. But the city was filled with life, with noise blaring at every corner and light radiating from each source. People were busy walking beside the busy road, accompanied by chatters here and there. It was a regular winter night.

I was on my way home from the city. I had to do a few errands and it took me long. I was still wearing my school uniform and it felt pretty uncomfortable. If anything, I just wanted to take a long bath and call it a day. I've been exhausted from school due to extra activities and all I wished for is to be able to rest for the night.

I'm Myoui Mina, nineteen years old, a current high school student at Hanlim School of Arts. Right now, I live with my best friend since my parents are at Japan. I decided to pursue my dreams and study here in Korea. My parents were supportive of my decision and got me a house to stay at, along with regularly sending me money to afford my basic necessities. We weren't very rich, but you could say that we could afford things.

I couldn't care less about our wealth honestly. If I wasn't the one who earned it, then it's not for me to brag about. Even if I did become wealthy after I have worked hard in achieving my dreams, I would still not boast about my money. It's not in my nature, and it would only give me nothing but hate from other people that are envious. It might even become the cause of my own death if I attract someone interested with my cash.

A shy and timid girl was the best way to describe myself. I barely had any friends at school and I almost never interacted with my classmates⁠—unless it was for academic purposes. But even so, I still managed to ace our subjects. When there were presentations, I was considered number one by our teacher. Even the entire class took pride of my ballet skills. At one point, I even got the nickname of "black swan" for being confident yet elegant on stage.

I had a duality that even I didn't notice.  

Walking along the sidewalk, the street was dark and eerie. A few lamp posts could be seen at the distance, and only some were working properly. Some tall trees could be seen from the side, they tower me as if I was a small ant. If I didn't regularly walk around this area, I would've hurriedly scurried away. But it's a sight that I've grown to be accustomed of.

I only needed to walk a few more blocks before I arrive at the nearest bus stop. I still had to ride the bus if I wanted to reach my home since it's a bit far. I just hoped it's not too late or else I wouldn't be able to go back home without spending a bit more dime for a taxi. No way in hell I'd ride a taxi at this ungodly hour. Who knows what would they do to a poor little high school girl such as myself.

There, at the other side of the street, I could already see the stop. Excited about the idea of finally getting rest, I hastily walked passed the road, forgetting to look left and right. Only a few vehicles would pass by here so I thought I would be safe. The thought of finally getting the chance to lie on my bed was the only thing consuming my mind. I was halfway across the street when I felt a strong burst of light engulfing my vision. I looked over to where the source was and that was when I realized.

A car was running directly towards where I was standing. Frozen, I didn't know what to do. It felt as if my legs were glued to the ground and I couldn't pull them up. The vehicle was only a few meters from me and I was already certain that at that very moment, I was gonna die. If only I wasn't so careless, then this wouldn't have happened to me. Dying at such a young age, I couldn't even achieve my dreams, and I have failed my parents.

Whilst I was having an internal war and acceptance with the fate I was about to encounter, the car suddenly steered away. It was at this time that I have finally gained control over my legs. I quickly jerked away and the moving object was only a few inches apart from me when it passed by. The vehicle slowed down but it still almost crashed to a tree. Bewildered, I couldn't believe that I was alive. 

I landed on my rear, and I was completely numb from the pain due to the adrenaline gushing through my veins. It took a full minute before everything sunk in. I was alive? I was really alive. My lungs were about to explode, and my heart was palpitating heavily. My eyes were wandering everywhere, until it landed to the car that was a few meters away.

The door opened, and it revealed a short girl. Worry was written all over her face as she quickly ran towards my direction. She immediately ran to my side and sat in front of me. Her hands made it's way to my shoulders, as if they were trying to comfort me. "Are you alright mi-" Our eyes met, and her words were cut off. A confused reaction flashed on her face before it reverted back to its former, concerned visage.

"I'm so sorry miss?" The girl started once more. Her sentence was more of a question rather than an apology.

I gently removed her hands from my shoulders and replied to her query. "Mina, Myoui Mina." I gently stood up from my position, whilst dusting off dirt from my clothes.

"Again, my deepest apologies Mina!" She bowed politely. "I believe this is the second time I almost ran over you." She then scratched her head. "You can report me to the police if you want. It's my fault after all."

Now that she mentioned it. I do remember something similar happening yesterday. I was on my way to that famous restaurant known for their usage of ketchup, when a speeding car almost ran over me. But it wasn't as close compared to what happened today so I didn't mind and shrugged it off for the rest of the night.

"No no, It's alright." I flashed her a lip curve, revealing what is known to be my signature gummy smile. "I know that you didn't mean to, besides. It's my fault for not watching my way too."

"So uhm, it's getting late. Why don't I give you a ride?" She offered. "At least, that way I could repay you from what I've done."

A stranger? Offering me a ride home? As much as I'd love to save money, the idea of riding a car of someone I don't even know scared me. Heck, she even almost killed me twice. Who knows what she's plotting, maybe she wants me dead. Worse, she might dissect my body to sell my organs to those syndicates. 

"No no! It's okay!" I replied nervously, but it came out as if I was shocked. "I can get home safely."

"I insist! Besides, I heard that there's been multiple cases of murder for the past few days." 

That raised my suspicion. Maybe she's even part of it? But at this point I think I'm being too far-fetched here. The girl seemed nice and she genuinely cared. The look on her face is even evident that she's guilty of what she has done. I might have watched too much murder movies lately. I got nothing to lose if I said yes.

"If you say so..." I agreed in doubt. 

"By the way, I'm Son Chaeyoung, Chaeng for short."

The girl named "Chaeyoung" opened the door of her car, and gestured for me to get in. Convinced that nothing bad would happen to me, I followed her. After I entered the vehicle, she quickly scurried to get on the driver's seat. She started the engine and began driving at a normal speed. She looked at me for a second before returning her attention on the road. She asked where I lived and I answered immediately.

Little did I know, that very night was going to change my fate completely. 

---------

07/09/2019 - rewritten so it could fit with the plot.