Chapter 65 - Red General

The next few days are a blur. The mornings I wake up confused as to where I am. I remember shortly after that I am no longer in the castle, but at the Guard's base. I have breakfast with the family, which my mother insists is important we do. Then I go for a run, and the property that the Scarlet Guard use as a new base is so large, it takes me 10 minutes to run to the initial gate, where the entrance is. After that I keep running, into the woods, trying to scope out exactly how far from Norta or the Lakelands we are.

When I get back, I train with Cameron and then it is lunch time, which I spend with my family. After lunch, I have to meet with Farley and Shade, to get an update on anything that affects our plans to kill Maven and Iris. Farley is in direct contact with the higher up generals in the guard, so she usually knows what is going on. The last few days have brought us nothing though. The end of the day is usually quiet. Dinner and then family time. After that its back to bed, waiting for another day. I sleep beside Gisa, and it almost feels like old times. All of us together again.

The last I heard from Cal was when I first arrived. After my letter back to him, he never replied, and since then I didn't want to be the one to initiate contact. So, we just left it at that. I don't know how long I will be here, or how long it will take to kill Maven and Iris, but I know that when the time comes, I want to be there. I want to be the one to kill him. It is all I can think about. All I have lost because of him. I just want this to be over. I just want to be normal again. That is the last thought I have, every night before I fall asleep.

...

One morning I find dad outside, reading an old worn book.

"Good morning" I say. Dad immediately looks at me, a big smile coming to his face. He looks so much healthier, so much...happier. I just can't believe how much has changed for him.

"Good morning my dear daughter" he says, and I can't help but laugh. Dad joins me. It's our running joke, at how mom keeps calling me her darling, her love. She feels guilty for me being out there, in this mess. Me being a massive part of the whole drama with Maven and Cal. I have gotten used to it. "Are you going for your run?" he asks, closing the book.

"I have to get out for a bit" I say, but dad nods.

"I know Mare. I understand completely" I smile, because he makes me feel safe. His voice, his smell, his smile. All of it, familiar. Dad knows I have been struggling with being away from Cal, and being on bad terms with him. I haven't told anyone about it, but he picked up on it the first day. "Have you heard from Cal, or the King? I don't even know what to call him" I laugh.

"Just call him Cal, I still can't wrap my head around the King part either" I say, and it is true. Cal is a King, and sometimes I forget the power he has. And the responsibility. "And... no I haven't. He is giving me space" Dad nods, and I can see him choosing his words wisely.

"Mare. I wouldn't worry too much. If you both love each other as much as you say you do, and Gisa tells me..." I frown at that. What exactly has she been saying. "...then you will work it out. Everything will fall into place. It has to". He takes my hand, squeezing tight. "Now go for your run, and when you come back, help your father hang up those photos your mother has been bugging me to put up for months".

I laugh, squeezing my dad's hand back. "I suddenly have something else to do" I joke, and my worries take a back seat for just a moment.

...

2 weeks later – Cal POV

Maven and Iris have disappeared. No one can find them. Not my generals, not the Guard. No one. We have spent the last 2 weeks training, waiting for operatives to tell us their location, preparing ourselves. I have especially been focused on my training because it is my way of forgetting about Mare. We haven't spoken the whole time, and I haven't tried to reach out either. I want her to have her space. We need it.