Camp Counsellors?

One shot dedicated to the foodstuff cheese. A constant in all our lives.

David's point of view. End of Camp camp season two episode twelve.

The pizza trip had been a sucsess, although not much had been said. Max was what some people would describe as happy and we'd missed Campbell's performance thing from earlier. That was clearly a bad idea and I was sorry I'd pushed Max so much.

I stopped the car just outside the mess hall. It was clear that something had happened. Tyre marks were leading away from the hall and none of the campers or parents were in sight. The quartermaster was walking past.

"What in gosh darn hack happened here quartermaster?" He kept walking and mumbled back.

"Mmmmm, Campell.... mmm, super Guantanamo. Took parents back." He went into his shed and that was the last we saw of him that evening. Max jumped out of the back of the car and yawned. 

"Shit, no more Campbell, well see you tomorrow." He shuffled his feet. "and uh.. thanks I guess fake mum, fake dad." and he winked. "But don't fucking tell anyone I said that." Max walked back towards his tent. Gwen sighed.

"Do you fancy a cocoa, before bed. I'm pretty exhausted." she said. I agreed with her. It had been a terrible day before I got a little hug out of Max and I was feeling pretty emotional. We walked into our cabin and I got our two mugs before making the cocoa. I made sure to put some marshmallows in both our cocoa as well as some extra sugar. Gwen waited just watching me and we chatted about the kids performances.

"I'm so happy for the campers. The performances before we left, well they weren't good, but they were all so heartwarming." I clasped my hands around my cocoa and felt the warmth.

"Yeah, I think we've done well this summer. Come on let's go sit down." She smiled at me. I smiled back, and just for a moment the camp was peaceful. No explosions, no shouting, just silence. We walked back into the lounge, and sat down. Well I sat down, but Gwen wasn't watching as she was intent on carrying her cocoa so proceeded to down onto my lap. 

"Eeek, shit, sorry." she screeched and jumped up nearly spilling her drink. She sat down on the other chair quickly. "Sorry David, I was distracted." She smiled at me. It must have been the warmth of the cocoa, but her face glowed just a little. 

"That's all right Gwen, no harm done." We stayed quiet just for a minute and sipped our drinks. Outside the wind blew against the cabin, and the window was filled with darkness. Gwen chuckled.

"Are you all right Gwen?" I was somewhat concerned, Gwen wasn't usually this happy.

"Oh it's nothing. Just something stupid." She said, I was curious now.

"No go on." Gwen chuckled again.

"Its just that Max called us Mum and Dad." I chuckled.

"I believe he said fake Mum and fake Dad. But yes that is pretty funny." I looked at Gwen and I felt my cheeks heat up and my stomach flip a couple of times. Gwen stared back, her purple eyes glistened, her pupils slightly larger than normal and she looked quite warm again. 

"Are you feeling all right?" We asked in union. Gwen answered first.

"I'm fine, just feeling a bit odd but its a nice feeling."

"I think I've got the same thing Gwen, a bit of a connection between us, maybe?" Gwen shrugged but still continued to stare for a second. She got up and went to leave before stopping in the doorway before sighing returning and sat on my lap.

"Gwen!" I cried.

"Shusssh David. Sit there and cuddle me, trust me it'll feel nice." I tentatively wrapped my arms around her. She was right it felt good and I relaxed. We stayed that way for about half an hour not saying a word. I was confused, I didn't think I felt like this towards Gwen, she was nice but so unlike me.

"Gwen, is this... a thing? Like a boy and girl thing." She nodded. 

"Yes David, if you want it to be." I thought for a second. She looked embarrassed, so she obviously meant it. If it didn't work between us what would happen to the camp, I didn't want to risk our friendship. But then again, the way she looked at me, cuddling in my arms. How could I refuse.

"I think I'd like that Gwen." And she snuggled further into me.

"Gosh darn it Gwen, the cocoa gone cold. Do you want me to go make some more?" 

"Mmmm, I've got all the warmth I need right here." She paused. "Actually yeah, go make two more." She slid off my lap and I walked back to the kitchen. "Oh and David, could you bring both of them to my room." I raised an eyebrow. I thought we were going back to the lounge. She sighed. "You really need it spelt out for you. A pair of your pyjamas as well you muppet."

Outside ten faces pressed against the window. Max leaned back.

"Ha ha ha ha ha. I fucking knew it. All they needed was the smallest push." He dropped to the floor and started wheezing with laughter. "I just had to call them mum and dad and now they're all other each other."