l e a r n i n g

Lynn wakes up to rays of sunlight creeping through her window, a new beginning. She grins a little bit, admiring it briefly before rolling onto her stomach and shifting her head to the other direction. A warm feeling of contentment washes over her, running through her veins and wiping out the dark, lonely feeling that had consumed her for the better part of the night before.

Some of the warm, happy feeling probably also comes from the fact that it is a very rare day, one in which she doesn't have class at all and doesn't have to go into work until ten o'clock in the evening. She actually has the whole day to herself.

Also, Emily may or may not have a little bit to do with it.

As the thought enters her head, the blonde smiles and snuggles into the covers a little more. She really hopes that the other girl will be there tonight. She wants Emily to feel safe, happy with where she is.

All of a sudden, her phone buzzes against the nightstand, and she rolls over to pick it up, squinting slightly at the bright screen. Band practice today at two! Wanna hang? We could use a plus one! Brian has texted, making Lynn grin again.

Sure! I'll definitely be over. A smiley face is added to the end of the message, and then it's sent. There's still some time before she has to get ready to go, so she gets out of bed, stretching a little. Then she looks around the room and begins cleaning, making the bed, and everything else that she can think of to make time pass.

There's a restless feeling building up inside. It runs through veins, tears through cardiac muscle, and spills everywhere. It's a restlessness that is dying to get its hands on instruments, get to working on something different, creating. It's a restlessness that is dying to speak to a girl, one with raven hair and sad eyes and a soft voice that is music to Lynn's ears.

This restlessness isn't sated by cleaning. It can only be satisfied by working as hard as she can, allowing the ink to flow out of her veins and coat the page, taking every single thing that she's feeling inside and making it come to life.

Quickly, she places the last pillow back on her freshly-made bed and rushes over to her desk, the ideas already starting to flow. Lynn quickly picks up a pen and flips through her journal, page after page blurring together until she finally finds the correct stopping point, a blank page.

Beauty.

Is it possible that she can make it more beautiful by staining it?

Hopefully.

Taking a deep breath, enjoying the rush, she begins.

Some days I feel everything, others are numbing.

~ ~ ~

At two in the afternoon, Lynn pulls up to Alex's house, the usual place for the band to make music. She pulls the slightly beaten-up journal and her favorite guitar out of her passenger side seat before walking up the steps and knocking on the door quietly. After a moment, the face of her friend appears in the screen door and smiles widely. "Lyndsey, come on in!" Alex says brightly, stepping aside to offer room. "We were just warming up."

She grins and steps in, hearing the sounds of Brian playing notes on his bass and Justin working on drums. When she looks, Alex already has his guitar slung over his shoulder on its strap. She's the only one that hasn't gotten to prepare yet. Quickly, she places her own guitar around her and sets her papers down before tuning it. Then she heads downstairs to meet the other boys, Alex by her side. "What have you guys been working on?"

"Just putting the finishing touches on the songs that we were working on last week," Alex replies with a grin, showing his teeth. It always warms Lynn's heart to see her best friend so happy, especially when he's so shy.