s k a t i n g

The journal feels like it's burning a hole in Lynn's back as she sits in class, itching to leave. For the last hour, she's been trying to shove the antsy feeling away and concentrate on her art for assignments, but it's to no avail. Her feet tap against the floor rapidly, fingers itching to pull out the journal, to read through it again.

When her professor dismisses the class after what feels like an eternity, Lynn is the first one out, pulling her pack over her shoulder. She rushes out into the cool January air, hoping to beat the crowd. Making it to her car, she watches for a moment to make sure there's no traffic, and then she backs out, looking up the skate park's address and typing it into her GPS.

The drive to the park is quick, mainly because the blonde is driving a little too fast. She makes it fifteen minutes before she's due. She parks in the half-full lot and pulls out her phone and the journal, attempting to distract herself, but she can't stop shifting in her seat, so she gives up. Opening the door, she invites the cool breeze into the hot car. Then she gets out, shutting the door and locking it.

The sound of skateboards rolling on ramps fills the air. Lynn walks past groups of guys and girls doing various tricks. She keeps an eye out for the beautiful girl as she keeps going, and she finally spots the older girl on her own, head covered with a black helmet as she does a flip on the ramp before coming to a stop.

"Emily!" Lynn calls, and the other girl turns around, a large smile crossing her features as she realizes who's behind her. The blonde rushes forward and captures her in a hug, swaying a little as she does so.

"Hey, Lynn," Emily giggles into her ear, wrapping her arms around the younger girl. "You came back."

"Of course I did," Lynn murmurs. "I will always come back for you." She releases her, smiling wider when she takes a step back and realizes how good Emily looks. Though it's cold, she's clad in a black Thrasher tank top and black basketball shorts. Her tattoo is finally visible, an intricate wolf designed in black ink on her right bicep. Her dark hair is pulled into a ponytail, showing off multiple piercings in both ears. Lynn grins and tries to commit it all to memory.

After a moment, she recalls the reason for which she came. Quickly, she holds the journal out. "I finished it last night."

Emily takes the book gratefully. "Thank you. How---um, how much did you see?"

"All of it. Front to back." Lynn gives her a sad, sympathetic smile. Emily bites her lip, averting her gaze, so the blonde holds her arms out once more. "C'mere," she murmurs, and the raven-haired girl falls into her embrace. "It's okay." Lynn runs a soothing hand across her back. "You're okay, honey. It's nothing to be ashamed of. And if you ever need a place to stay, my door is always open."

"Thank you so much," Emily says gratefully, and Lynn feels her grip tighten. "You have no idea how much I needed that. I know it's stupid to feel alone, but I guess I just do sometimes."

"It's understandable. I used to feel the same way. If you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here."

"Thank you. Wait," Emily pauses, pulling away and studying the younger girl's features, "you're---you're---?"

Lynn leans in and whispers in Emily's ear, "I heard you're gay. Me too, it's great." Her giggle further breaks the tension in the air, and Emily pulls her in for another hug, laughing and swaying even more. Finally, they let go of each other and lock gazes.

"So you're not afraid of me? Of all the things I see and think?"

"Not at all," Lynn answers honestly. "It's not your fault."

They're both quiet for a moment, and then Lynn focuses her attention to the dark blue board at Emily's feet. "You can keep on, I don't mind."

Emily grins as if she's just had a wonderful idea. "Have you ever tried skateboarding before?" Lynn laughs nervously, shaking her head. "Do you want to?"