Chapter 46

One week later: BPRD Headquarters, New Jersey

Emerald

The case of the Golden Army that first brought me to the covert gates of the BPRD had finally closed. Thanks to Sreng's recorded footage of Alpheus confessing to conspiring against the Bethmooran royal family, we've learned what truly had caused the ancient battle that took the lives of both humans and fae.

Nuada feels remorse for the time he's lost to hate and rage, and has been spending a lot of time with Nuala. Even though I miss him, I know he needs her while they both drown in sorrow over their past. Mage Kalidren and Lady Breanne now also know the truth.

Sreng has been locked up, but Hellboy tells me not to worry. If he proves to be trustworthy and eventually come to terms with the BPRD, he could be allowed to enter training. The Bureau been trying to recruit both Nuada and Nuala as well, but they have stayed away from the headquarters for a week, now.

I'm spending my days with Liz and Hellboy. They have asked me to speak with Nuada and Nuala about relocating to the Troll Market. They want to be together while Liz goes through the last stages of her pregnancy. I believe staying close to Lady Breanne would be best for her. I can think of no one better capable of healing a person in the most bizarre of situations.

"The world can survive without us for a while," Hellboy keeps saying. I have a feeling he's more nervous about it than Liz, and is freaking out about becoming a father. As for me, I have no doubt he'll make a great Dad. He had an amazing father figure in Dr. Bruttenholm.

..............

A sudden gust of air disturbed the flames in my fireplace. Rising from my chair, I turned to check the door of my quarters. My heart came to a stop for a moment, then began a wild thrumming. Nuada was standing there, his amber eyes fixed on me.

"Nuada." I breathed his name, standing transfixed at his unexpected appearance. He wore a lilac silk tunic richly embroidered with gold threads. The most unusual thing though, was the absence of body armour.

"How do you fare, Emerald?" he asked, approaching me.

Tears stung my eyes at the question. I'd missed him every waking moment. Just when all things were resolved, he'd gone far away. There were times I wondered if he would again care in the same way for me. Perhaps, he would leave to rule his inter-continental kingdom.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his hand raised to graze my cheek in a soothing touch.

"Why are you here, Nuada?" I asked in a choked voice. "Have you come to say goodbye?"

"Goodbye?" His pale brows lifted, then his expression gave way to a look of pain. Closing in, he firmed his hand against my back and pulled me to his chest. His sudden movement unbalanced me.

"What are you doing?" I needed to steady myself as he held me in place. His glowing golden eyes gazing down at me, he pressed his lips to mine.

Sparks shot through my body to the tips of my fingers as he nipped lightly on my mouth. I parted my lips to invite the sweep of his tongue, kissing him back with a deep hunger of my own. He wasn't the only one holding tight. My hands clung to his shoulders while I poured my frustrations and insecurities into our kiss.

Nuada lifted his head, to stare at me with carnal lust. "This is no goodbye, Emerald. You will always be mine. And I shall always be yours. Always." With that, he claimed my mouth again.

I abandoned any count of how much time passed while we poured every thought and feeling into our kisses. No words could have been enough, but our bodies spoke for us. Each time we parted for breath, our unbroken embrace bound our sense of comfort and promise.