Two Years Later

Stephanie had gotten a haircut and was not wearing glasses. Matthew did not know why this made him nervous, but it did.

He had just stepped out of a large fireplace and into the small cafe he had been told to go to. Stephanie, who had arrived fifteen minutes previously and was sitting alone, hopped up from her chair as soon as she saw him. Her hair just barely reached her shoulders now and framed her face in a way that made her cheekbones really stand out. She was smiling. Matthew felt himself smile back. "So, where's your boyfriend tonight? Is he meeting us there?" he asked as he dusted soot off his shoulders.

Stephanie shrugged as she patted off his cloak. "No, his grandparents are visiting this week. Where's Apolla?"

Apolla, a Wampus girl in fifth year with Matthew, Courtney, and Austin. She was a very pretty girl with blonde hair and hazel eyes. She and Matthew had gone on a few dates over the past year, and had written each other for a short while in the beginning of summer. Matthew made a face and sighed, "We broke up. It wasn't anything serious anyway."

"Oh, I'm sorry though. Has anyone told you where we're going tonight?"

Matthew laughed. "No, I just know we're meeting at Jason and Gen's apartment. So, you don't know either?" Stephanie shook her head. "Ugh, the suspense is killing me."

"Me, too. I didn't know how to dress, so Courtney helped me pick something out when I slept over last week."

"Oh that explains it."

"Explains what?"

"You just don't normally wear things like this." Matthew looked her over again. Stephanie let her summer robes hang open to show off the NoMaj clothes she wore underneath consisting of a short t-shirt and a plaid skirt that revealed more of her legs than Matthew was used to seeing. "Can you breathe with that thing on?" He looped his finger through the necklace hugging her throat.

Stephanie swatted his hand away. "Well, not when you do that! What, do I look bad?" She pursed her lips and reached for a strand of hair only to find nothing there. Instead she tugged her robes closed to hide herself. Her stomach was showing a little bit, but she hadn't been concerned about it since she was going to be around her friends. Now, with Matthew looking at her, she felt her cheeks start to burn.

"No, no! You look great," Matthew said, reaching out to pull her arms away from her robes. "Really. You're... you know. You're pretty."

"Thanks," Stephanie said quietly. She tucked her hair behind her ears. "Do you know if anyone else is coming?"

"Well, you know Courtney. She's always late. Should we wait for her?"

"I'll call and see." With that, Stephanie pulled something out of her purse and pressed the buttons on it.

"What's that?" Matthew asked as he watched Stephanie hold the block to her ear.

"A phone. NoMaj technology, you know?"

"But it has no cord."

"It's a cell phone. So it's mobi— Hey, Court! Yeah, Matthew and I are at that cafe. Oh. Okay. Yeah! Okay, we're on our way. Thanks! Yeah, see you soon." Stephanie looked back at Matthew. "She and Austin got here at the same time and thought we were probably already there. So they're at Gen and Jason's. We can head there, too, if you're ready."

"Sure, I don't see any reason to hang around here. Now tell me about cell phones, because we just got a telephone!"

The apartment was a short walk away. When they arrived, Matthew and Stephanie were greeted by a chorus of cheerful voices. Courtney jumped Matthew when he walked through the door, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. "I've missed you!" She screeched.

"Ow! My ear," Matthew whined as she released him.

"You deserve it! You haven't called me at all this summer."

Matthew shrugged sheepishly. "I sort of lost your number."

"And you're too stubborn to admit it," Courtney said with a roll of her eyes. "I'll write it down for you again."

Austin came up and threw an arm over Matthew's shoulder. "Hey, friend."

"Hey," Matthew said. "How's it been?"

"It's good. Do you know where we're going?"

"They still haven't told you?"

"We've been waiting for you two!" Gen had just finished hugging Stephanie and was now coming to give Matthew a quick squeeze.

"This place is nice."

"Yeah. It's a little annoying not having Floo, especially since we don't have an owl, but it was a good price and it's only the two of us. The cafe being so near is convenient."

"And it's a nice spot to eat at." Jason came up and squeezed Matthew's shoulder. "Good to see you. The portkey leaves in a few minutes. Now that you're here, we can prepare to go."

"Where?" Said Courtney with her arms over Stephanie's shoulders.

Jason and Gen exchanged a quick glance. Gen was smirking. "Well, it's sort of a surprise. We're going to see a concert."

"Who's playing?" Austin asked.

"You'll like her," Jason said. "That's guaranteed. You're just going to have to wait a little longer to find out.

"Alright, everybody grab onto this pillow. This is going to be fun."