Chapter 25

<25>

Hannah's POV

After the vows were said, Brandon dropped a quick kiss on my parted lips. I flushed and forced a happy smile toward the witnesses around. Rebecca, Jeremy, Gina, and Dough applauded and spared Brandon a congratulatory slaps on the back and they kissed my cheek.

Gina lent me some help to pick out a simple white dress from a couturier. It wasn't very fancy for a first wedding and other brides would've snorted at the simplicity of it. The dress reached my toes, the upper part sleeveless and weaved with glittery stones of low quality. The long skirt hang around my waist down to my toes in a very old fashioned style.

Rebecca poised in front of me a while ago and snorted at the dress I wore.

"Modest enough but too ordinary, don't you think honey? Poor bride, Brandon didn't accompany you to the finest seamstress to purchase the most expensive gown any bride deserves! What a thoughtless groom!"

The judge exited himself somewhere, his job done.

"Now that you're married I think that leaves Sabrina to me," Dough said sneering. Jeremy shoved him aside and threw him a warning glare. I hadn't seen Sabrina since last time and I wondered if she knew Brandon married me. She seemed very much attracted to him.

"Don't mind that filth. I'm happy for the both of you," Jeremy kissed my knuckles and Brandon gave no sign of displeasure from the gesture.

Rebecca stepped forward, her face alight.

"I can't wait to see my grandchild. My best wishes for you." Rebecca's words were excessively eager and excited but Brandon's expression didn't betray any sign of happiness upon this shotgun marriage.

He seemed to continually avoid his own mother too.

And when Rebecca tried to embrace him, he moved away.

I saw the sad expression that crossed his mother's face.

"Anyway, where's your parents Hannah?" Rebecca questioned. I knew she'd question me if given a chance only the wedding began shortly right after she arrived.

"Oh, they're," I tilted my head searching help from Brandon. I wasn't sure whether it's fine to tell them about my father's imprisonment. Though aloof he devised an answer for me.

"Her father is based in London, for some reason he can't come for the wedding but he promised to make it up to us when he visits New York. Whereas her mother.." He looked down on me, his gaze a mask of uncertainty.

"U-uhm, actually I haven't met my mother. She left dad and I after she gave birth to me." I tried to sound unaffected but the faces around me seemed to sympathize.

I forced a laugh from my lips and put an arm around Brandon's sleeve. But he withdrew. I frowned, pained by the gesture. But he suddenly drew me closer by snaking an arm around the small of my back.

I looked up at him in confusion. I didn't understand his mood swings. I let myself snuggle in his side and heard teasing comments from Brandon's family.

"What a sweet young couple," Gina intoned, her teeth flashed in a dreamy smile.

Just yesterday, I learned that Gina was Brandon's foster sister and Rebecca sent her away because of her continued disobedience. The two talked little as well but all in all the wedding turned out fine. We all headed to Brandon's house where our well-wishers awaited us.

Brandon addressed me no word since the wedding and I kept glancing his way as he drove the car homeward. Behind us were cars containing his family and how I wished somebody's with us just to ease a bit of the discomfort surrounding us at the moment.