01

Luin had heard of Gandalf's little band. A group of Dwarfs and a single hobbit. He had heard of their pointless quest to reclaim Erobor, home of the dwarfs. He had heard all this from the lips of Gandalf himself.

The man himself stood opposite him. They were Elrond's study, an open room decorated with a desk and some chairs, one of which Luin was sprawled across. The room was beautiful. Each piece of furniture was stunningly handcrafted in beloved way that the elves were famed for. A room of culture and learning. There were scraps of thin paper strewn across a small corner of the desk, kept away from the neat books on the other end. A brush dipped in red ink was propped on a tiny stone. Luin's newly drawn talks and drying in the open air.

He sighed, propping his head on his hand as he fixed Gandalf with his black stare. The tips of his fingers stained with red ink. "So you want me to help you reclaim the dwarf's homeland", Luin let out a chuckle like ringing bells. "They will not want me. I look like an Elf".

"Ah", Gandalf smiled down a Luin, a twinkle in his eye. "That's where you're wrong, for you're not an elf. Are you?"

Luin raised his dark eyebrows at the wizard. "Are you really suggesting that I should help the dwarves fight a dragon?"

"No", Gandalf pondered with a sly smirk. "I am suggesting that you should help a race reclaim their homeland. And there will be lots of battles along the way. A journey of epic proportions".

Gandalf had got him there. If there was one thing Luin had passion for, it was adventure. He loved the thrill of a fight; the surprises around every corner. He could practically taste the adrenaline already. Also, he was bored and something lingering in his veins urged him forwards.

"Please go with him", Elrond spoke from where he was organising his desk. The old elf gave a pointed look at the red ink and the drips on the table. "You've stayed here long enough and you're a bad influence to Arwen".

"Aww Lord Elrond", Luin cooed, a smirk tugging his lips. "Have you had enough of me already?"

Elrond laughed slightly as Luin stood up and embraced him in a hug. The dark male was almost like a nephew to him. He was a childhood friend of Arwen and had wormed his way into his heart. But he needed to let Luin go once again. The boy was never one for a settled life.

"I shall go", Luin answered after a moment of thought. He and Elrond parted and he leant back against his strong oak desk, arms and legs crossed leisurely. "However, You will be explaining why to Thorin". He began tucking the dry talismans into deep pockets of his dark blue robes. He went to clean away the ink but Elrond waved a dismissive hand.

"Very well", Gandalf smiled in triumph. He stood, grey robes flowing, and nodded down at Luin, who returned his smile.

Luin rose to his feet with a natural grace that only elves possessed and picked up his staff from where it had been leaning against his armchair. It was a loved piece of wood. Shorter than Gandalf's own staff, only coming up to Luin's eyes. Wood stained a deep night blue was smooth against his palm and Luin's hand automatically found it's hold on the worn surface. The staff was slim but strong, decorated with numerous carved intertwining patterns. Symbols such as stars and runes hid within the moving lines. The wood worn smooth over decades. His staff in his hand, Luin took a moment to adjust his midnight blue robes before following Gandalf out of the study.

As the two men strode though the open stone corridors of Rivendale, Luin hummed absently. It was a deep slow melodic tune that echoed off the white stone and calmed the mind. Gandalf felt it bring a smile to his lips. There was a energy to the music.

"You are improving", He remarked gruffly. "Soon there will be nothing left for me to teach you".

Luin skipped forwards so that he was a couple of steeps in front of the older man. A whimsical smirk captured his lips as he turned to face the other, walking and skipping backwards with the self assurance of youth. "We are constantly learning Gandalf. Did you forget?"

Gandalf laughed and his eyes twinkled. "No young Luin. I did not forget".

Luin laughed in a childish way that forgot his actual age and turned to resume his skipping. His slim stature and young face made him appear younger than his thousand years. It was not like he didn't encourage this perception. He seemed more like a youth on the brink of adulthood and drunk on life than the wise minstrel that he was.

The pair stopped in a open courtyard decorated with trees baring brilliant green leaves and smooth white marble. On one side of the courtyard was the view of the valley of Rivendale. Lush greenery and twisting white buildings descending below them. Whilst in the centre of the marble courtyard stood a magnificent huge oak table piled high with elven foods. Slightly disturbing the scenic scene were twelve dwarfs. They were sat around the table arguing and complaining loudly as they ate. Luin let his eyes wonder over their dirty and travel worn clothing. His eyes stopped on a figure that was slightly smaller than the dwarfs. His eyes met those of a hobbit and held for a second. Then the hobbit was looking away down at his plate.

"Thorin", Gandalf called the leader away from the table and to his side. "This is Luin the Blue. He will be joining us on our quest to Erobor".

Luin met the steely gaze of Thorin as he was surveyed. Luin stiffened, standing with his head held high and proud as the shorter Dwarf assessed him. Thorin was dark haired and dark clothed. Furs and leathers covered his frame. He held himself with the confidence and arrogance of a leader.

"He looks like an elf", Thorin spat finally, glaring at Luin. "I don't trust elves".

"Master Thorin. I am not an elf", Luin objected politely but firmly. He had dealt with this often. "I am Luin the blue. Gandalf's apprentice". He bowed in a sweeping motion.

Thorin gazed Luin over again but with a different perspective. Now that he looked more firmly he could see that the youth was in fact not an Elf at all. His skin was a pale tone of gold and his long hair was a rich ebony, too deep in colour to be of elven decent. The elves were known for their blinds, reds and chestnut hair colours. Golden tinged skin and ebony hair was uncommon even amongst humans. The boy's eyes were dark and black, beautifully lined by dark eyelashes like a raven's. High cheekbones and a straight nose only added to his ethereal beauty.

"You do not look like anyone I've ever seen", Thorin wondered out loud. "What species are you?"

Luin smiled. "I'm a wizard Thorin Oakensheild. What species I may be biologically does not matter. Only the fact that I'm one of the blue wizards matters here".

Thorin grunted in dissatisfaction. He frowned up at Gandalf. "I trust your judgement Gandalf. Make sure that he causes no trouble".

"Oh don't worry", Gandalf smiled with pride and a subtle hint of amusement. "Luin will be very useful".