09

The bed in Beorn's guest bedroom was not a thing of luxury. The mattress was of straw and the blankets were scratchy. But to Luin, who had been sleeping rough for months now, it was heaven. When he awoke, it was to a wooden bath tub sitting steaming in the corner of the room. Luin smiled sleepily. He hated to admit it but a bath was what he needed.

Sunlight was dripping through the windows of the cottage when he emerged with wet hair. Bees buzzed around the room and Luin let one linger on his finger for a moment before it flew off lazily. "Morning", he greeted as he walked into the main living space. It was a light and warm place. Cosy with wooden furniture and chickens milking around underfoot. One door led off into a barn round the side of the house where the company had spent the night. Herbs and sweet smelling flowers hung from the ceiling. The noise of cheerful chatter was audible down the hall.

The company, minus Bilbo, was all seated around the dining table as Beorn poured milk from a massive jug into their pints. Luin watched them all for a second, wondering how they got so civil. Beorn didn't like dwarves very much. But then again, he didn't like anyone or anything that much. Dwarves just happened to be higher on his dislike list than humans or elves. Wizards were another matter entirely and Orcs were things Beorn detested. So that was one thing he and Thorin had in common.

Kili and Fili waved cheerfully at him when Luin emerged. They too seemed to have washed up and changed clothes. They were cleaner and there was a lot less dirt and blood on their shirts. Luin was glad that he had left a spare set of robes in his case. He had washed the ones he was wearing previously and they were hanging to dry on the exposed beams of the spare room.

Beorn looked up and smiled at him, exposing sharp teeth and making his sideburns move like whiskers. He towered over the dwarves like a giant, dressed in leather clothes. "Old friend", Luin greeted and welcomed Beorn's hug.

The skin changer laughed loudly as they separated. "Luin Blue. It has been a long time since I've seen you. Thirty years about?"

"Hey Beorn", Luin grinned. "Missed me?"

The massive hairy man pushed Luin back by his forehead. "Not on your life blue wizard. You maybe pretty and your playing maybe sweet but you drive me crazy dear friend".

"And you're not crazy enough on your own dear friend", Luin replied cheekily as he flicked a sodden lock over his shoulder.

Beorn grunted. "Dry your hair. Or tie it back. Don't drip all over my floor".  He gestured towards the table as he poured another pint of milk. Luin accepted the offered pint and turned to find a seat.

"Sit here", Fili called, getting up from his own seat. He offered Luin the empty place.

"Oh, it's fine Fili", Luin declined.

"No", Fili said. "Sit here and in return, Kili and I get to do your hair". Kili grinned at this.

"Let us braid your hair Luin", he asked. "I've never seen hair as dark or as long as yours. It's so straight, like water". Luin's hair reaches almost to the back of his legs when unbound and wet. It hung like a black curtain down the back of his blue robes.

Luin laughed at the compliments and obediently settled down in Fili's empty seat. The two of them brothers eagerly crowded around behind him and began arguing about which style to use. They seemed to have decided on something as soon enough, Luin felt their skilled fingers tugging on his hair. He relaxed into the soothing feeling. He always loved it when people braided his hair. Only those he trusted were allowed the honour, and during the journey Kili and Fili were quickly becoming dear friends.

"I never expected you to be with a party of dwarves", Beorn commented as he watched Kili and Fili mess with his hair. The two were still arguing and ordering each other under their breath as they worked. ("You braid that part like this! Don't do it like that". "Where's the comb. Fili pass me the comb"). But despite their frustrated voices, their touch was gentle and light.