❥ chapter XXIV

You weighed the object in your hands, trying to figure out what it could be. It was a bit heavy, and there seemed to be multiple objects inside—you heard them clunking when you moved the "toolbox," tilting and shaking it. Carefully, you removed the wrap from the gift. You found a rectangular yellow box with a single drawer that held tweezers, some cotton swabs, a comb, a small towel, a brush, and a travel-sized dryer.

"This is the latest trend from Alola," Lina spoke up. "It's a Pokémon Refresh Kit that allows you to care for your Pokémon after a battle. When they're wet, you can blow-dry them, when they're all dusty, you can brush them off, or when they're dirty, you can clean them with the towel—well, you get the idea."

"This present isn't just from us, though! Everyone in our class pitched in to buy it!" Alex chirped. "Even some of our teachers!"

"They wanted us to give their best wishes to you." May's tender smile turned into a smirk. "And they want you to call us as often as possible so we can pass on the news to them and keep them up-to-date as well."

"Do you like it?" Kristie asked gingerly, as though she was afraid that you would answer no.

You broke into a huge grin—a sight which made the blonde girl smile with a sigh of relief. "Of course I do!" you exclaimed. "This is just perfect! Thank you so much, guys!" You embraced your friends one after the other.

"I'm glad you like it." Lina smiled.

"C'mon, on to the next gift!" Alex urged you. She had grabbed onto your arm again and was now tugging on it, trying to get you to choose the next present to unwrap. She was on the edge of her seat (both literally and figuratively), although she wasn't even the one that got to tear the wrapping paper off the presents.

"Alex ..." May said in a low warning tone, her azure eyes narrowed at the girl in a vexed glare Alex was blissfully unaware of because she was too focused on your presents.

Next was the cube with the protrusion. It was in reality two separate items which were, in turn, part of a kit—the Pokéblock Kit, to be precise. The cube was a portable Berry Blender, while the thing that had looked like an oversize thermometer to you turned out to be a Pokéblock Case.

The pouch held—just like you had suspected—money your parents had been saving up in secret for several years, and it was a hefty sum of it at that! You were going to get by on just fine with the pocket money you now had. Of course, you hugged both your parents really tight, saying "Thank you" over and over again.

And last, but not least: The sphere. The feeling of holding it in your hand ... It was somehow familiar. It felt almost like you were holding a Poké Ball—and exactly that it turned out to be after you had gotten rid of the bow and the gift wrap. (You peeled the former off the ball, very careful not to damage it in any way, because it was just too pretty to throw away.)

Without more ado, you stood up from the couch. Moving past your friends into a more open space, you sent the Pokémon out. The Poké Ball clicked open, and a beam of dazzling light shot forth, assuming the shape of a bipedal Pokémon that went up to your chest. Before long, an Audino had materialized in front of you. You recognized it as one of the Pokémon that were working alongside the nurses in your parents' clinic; it was a she and had already helped you out a lot. Nevertheless, this sight drew exclamations of surprise and joy from your parents and your friends—and you yourself.

"Wow, an Audino!" you heard Kristie breathe in admiration behind you, almost drowned out by Alex's delighted squeal.

"What a wonderful gift," your mom said, a smile audible in her voice.