god with a small g

Kristi POV

His name was Ego and he claimed to be Peter's father. My father always said to be careful around such travelers. Those of whom tended to be too.... Egotistical. He spoke of my father like a villain. Like a diseased creature to the point that I stood and walked towards the forest.

It was moments like this that I missed home. I missed the feeling of earth and constant change of seasons. The breeze of the ocean and the sensation of the air. Nothing felt like earth. I sat down and tried to calm my familiar temper as I heard Peter and Gamora talking.

Apparently Peter was also a bit skeptical of this Ego. I slipped by them and went back towards camp, looking at Rocket before I shrugged.

"What's your name?" I looked to Ego and his servant Mantis who stared at me with her big eyes.

"Kristi..."

"You are human and?"

"I'm Yondu's daughter."

"O." It was all he said before looking to Mantis. I sunk into my spot on the ground, looking to my hands. Everything looked human about me except my eyes. I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and looked up to see Peter. He sat down and pulled me towards him before the chatter resumed. Almost instantly I felt sleepy just leaning into his embrace. The warmth from his body reminded me of lovers on earth. About emotions and things so specific to the human race it made me feel at home.

"Will you come with me, Drax, and Gamora?" He whispered slightly against my ear and I nodded.

" Of course. Rocket is gonna stay with Groot and Nebula?" He nodded before standing and lifting me up to stand as well.

"Then it's settled!" Ego grinned almost too quickly and motioned to the ship. I walked to Gamora while Peter talked to Rocket. Mantis kept looking at me. Observing me like a creature. I sat down next to Drax and looked around at the White surroundings.

I was able to tune most of it out and be alone till Mantis sat down and began speaking of feelings. Of being able to read people just by touching them. She touched Peter and giggled.

"You have feelings. Romantic feelings. For her." She looked to me and I managed a smile until she touched me. She looked concerned and sat forward slightly to look in my eyes. "You have dark memories.... Pain.... But you... You are happier now...." She shook her head and placed her hand on my stomach. I pulled away and glared at her.

"Excuse me?"

"Your feelings... I couldn't hear them fully because there is something else... You're with child." I shook my head ready to say no, but I looked to Peter then closed my eyes.

"I'm what? I'm with child?" I opened my eyes and saw her nodding. Drax was laughing and hollering at me at this point I was walking to another corner of the ship. No I couldn't be not now. Not with Peter. He'd be like any other guy just like on earth.

Hands held my face and I looked straight ahead at his blue eyes. He was concerned. Not angry as I had expected. He pulled me into a hug and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"I take it... That it's probably mine..." I gripped his shirt as I nodded.

"I didn't know.... I'm sorry. I... I understand if you just don't want to deal with any of this stuff. You're a guardian of the galaxy. You don't have time for stuff like this and... I don't blame you." He pulled away to hold my face.

"Stop... It's okay we'll figure it out. It takes two right? It takes two baby..." He started singing to lighten up the mood and I couldn't help but laugh. However I saw Mantis waking ego up and he looked to me. His personality scared me. As if his power knew no bounds. I looked away and Peter pressed a kiss to my lips then forehead.

"Thank you for... Not freaking out. I mean I'm freaking out... How could I not be freaking out." Ego started approaching and smiled slightly.

"I hear I'm gonna be a grandpa? How exciting. Another one of us." I coiled towards Peter. I didn't want to deal with Ego. I could tell Gamora agreed in my judgment.

"She's just a little overwhelmed right now." Peter spoke for me before Ego walked towards the wall.

"Well we are here. Come let's take a tour of my planet." Surely his name fit his personailty. I walked with Peter and kept my distance from the man who claimed to be his father. Little did I know exactly what was bound to happen. That in this journey I would lose one of the most important things in my life. All because of someone's Ego.