Chapter 1

Avery

~~~~~~~~

The Institute. A beautifully built building, made for those who have angel blood running through their veins. That is the place i grew up in, and that is the place i have to return to.

I left my family, because at the age of 17, I was afraid. I was pregnant and afraid. 17 was too young, I thought back then, that they'd disown me. So I left. I lived with Magnus, a close friend. I didnt forget to check on the others, I portalled into the institute with the intention of telling them, but couldn't. Now after 4 years I'm coming back.

I looked down at the little boy that had his small hand wrapped around mine. I smiled as i saw my sons face, as he looked at the Institute in amazement. I let him take it in before we headed towards the door.

Once we came into view of the Shadowhunters in the main room, two of them turned around. I smiled when I noticed it was Alec and Izzy.

"Avery? Is it really you?" Izzy asked as she came towards us.

I laughed slightly "Yes, its me you weirdo. I'm back for good." I say as I gave her a hug.

Zach hid behind me, which soon caught the attention of the two Lightwoods.

"Who is he?" Alec asked in a slight hushed tone.

"This is Zacherie. I saved him from a demon attack on his parents. He's only four, and he didn't want to leave my side." I say trying my very best to lie, which seemed to work, for Alec at least.

"Well, it was nice to meet you Zacherie. " Izzy says with a smile as she crouched down to his level.

He peeked his face out from behind me a little, then looked up at me. I nodded as in saying that it was alright. He then came out from behind me with a smile.

"Anyways, I should probably go to my room. I know you kept it the way I left it, I came here with Magnus through a portal so I could bring in my bags." I say and Izzy picked Zach up and followed me.

Once we got into my room, Izzy put Zach on the bed and sat down beside him. She then turned to me, "I know you're lying about him." She said as she looked over at Zach.

I sighed and closed my eyes briefly, as I took a deep breath. "Okay, fine. " I say as I faced her again. "Zach is my son. He's four." I say as I turned back around taking stuff out of the one box I had.

"Who is the father?" I froze as I heard what she asked.

"Jace." I say in a whisper, as I looked back towards her. It was almost as if she didn't know what to say, and with Izzy that was almost never.

"Avery, he needs to know." I sighed and nodded knowing she was right.

"I know. It took four years for me to make up the decision to come back. And I know that its not fair to take and keep my sons father out of his life. I just don't know if I'm ready to take that step yet."

"Just make sure you know what your doing before you make any decisions." She paused. " You know, he hasn't gotten over you. He never stopped looking for you after you left. He still has feelings for you, and I'm betting that you still have feelings for him too."

"Of course I still have feelings for him, but after what happened, after what he did. I don't know if things can ever be the same." I say as I looked down at my hands for a second.

"I'll cover for you, but you need to figure out what's best for your son. Anyways, we are now having a welcome back party. " I was about to object but she didn't let me. "After, I have you meet some people first. "