Chapter 5: A Job

I stayed at home, watching TV for a whole day because I really didn't feel like going to school. I hadn't eaten in a while and I just groaned when my stomach rumbled. It wouldn't give up so I stood up and went to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and the only things in it were a spoiled milk, an apple and a piece of bread.

      "Shit, I have to go shopping soon. And get myself a job while I'm at it" I said to myself frustrated.

      I poured the bad milk in a sink and took the apple and the piece of bread. I sat on the sofa staring at the TV while eating the poor meal.

      I decided to go shopping and looking for a job the next morning because it was too late today and besides, I was too lazy to even get up so I just slowly dozed off in front of a TV.

      I woke up and it took me a lot of energy to even get up. I got ready in half an hour. I took some money and left the flat to go at my business. Since I felt better when I was fully woken up, I decided to get job seeking first.
      Down the street, in front of a small shop, there was a sign that said "HIRING". It was big and in a red colour so I decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be a disappointment since they already hired someone but didn't get to put the sign away yet.
      It was pretty much the same the whole day. I went to check on the shops that had a sign in front of them but they all already hired someone or didn't want me because they thought I was too young.
     I was tired and my feet hurt since I didn't have money for a taxi. I gave up and decided to get the groceries and call it a day.

     The grocery store was packed. Apparently they had a Two for one price offer.
      After I got as much food for my money as I could, I waited in line for almost an hour. When it was finally my turn, some guy jumped in and talked to a cashier for a few minutes that seemed like forever.

     The guy left and I put the groceries on the counter.

      "Your purchase has already been paid for," the cashier turned to me after scanning all the products.

      I left the store very surprised. "Was it that guy? Why would he pay for my food?" I wondered.

      On my way home, a woman in her mid-thirties stopped me.

     "Are you looking for a job?"
I just stood there, dumb founded and stared at her mindlessly.

      "How did you know?" I asked her cautiously.

      "Little birdie told me."
      I gave her a weird look.
      "Don't look so shocked," she said with a wide smile, clearly amused at my reaction. "I saw you walking in a store and asking for a job."

     "Oh, ok," I breathed out. "I got scared a little there. Thought you were some creeper."
      I laughed nervously. "Well  I am, in fact, looking for a job. Why?"

      "Well I can get you one," she said warmly. But I wasn't going to be blinded by that, I knew better than to trust just anybody after my experience with the What's-her-face.
      "You would be making a lot of money. Maybe not at first, but eventually," she continued.

      "Ok. What's the catch?"
      "Does there have to be one?"
      I gave her a pointy look.

      "Alright. If you decide to take the offer, you'll get the details about the job, and only then. Not sooner. Just keep in mind that you don't have to do what you don't want to and it's not a part of your job.

      I thought for a bit.
      "I do need money, my savings are almost gone. And this lady here is offering me a job where I could earn a lot of it. But what is this job about? What if it's something illegal?

      On the other hand...if I don't pay my electricity and water bills soon, I'll be left without them. I already made a deal to hold it for a few months, it's the last time to pay for them."

      "I'll have to think about it ," I said to the lady.

     She just smiled at me and gave me a business card.

      "Just don't think about it for too long, ok?" she winked at me a left.