Chapter One

Sunday, the Seventh of May is a lovely day. Not a cloud in the pale blue sky. It is the perfect spring afternoon; a day where almost everyone is outside, going on long strolls or relaxing under the sun.

Except for eight people.

Eight lucky individuals are all currently on their way to The Maze. The other twelve had declined my invitation.

Those twelve were smart for doing so.

Nonetheless, the eight who accepted my invitation are all on their way to me, getting driven by my escorts. They are all curious as to why they were selected for this challenge, yet even more, they are all curious as to what The Maze actually is.

Even I, the founder and architect of The Maze, sometimes have trouble answering that question myself.

I wait for their arrival at the front entrance of The Maze, my beady eyes peering out from behind the dark, velvety curtains of the window. Tapping my foot out of bad habit, I glance down at my watch.

10:55 A.M.

Harsh morning sunlight streams through the glass pane, hurting my eyes. I can't remember the last time real, natural light entered this house.

This house.

I don't know if I can even call it that...

After my eyes fully adjust to the glaring sun, I look down the long, winding driveway to the locked, iron gates at the end. I can see that some people have already arrived. They are probably impatiently waiting for those gates to open in exactly five minutes. They are most likely craning their heads through the gate, trying to see the vast expanse of The Maze. However, they don't know what I know. They don't know how the walls of The Maze extend for what seems like forever, twisting and turning endlessly.

The Maze may appear as a normal structure, made from brick, paint, mortar and stone. But it is not. It is much, much more.

I quickly draw the blinds shut again and am immediately relieved to be back in the dark. Darkness just suits me better than light, that's all.

((what do you guys think so far? comment away!!))