Chapter Nine

Watching the candidates attempt to navigate their way through The Maze is an activity that I will never get tired of watching. It is like dropping eight young rats into a maze and observing them from above as they scurry around, desperately trying to find an exit.

That is the problem with each and every candidate that comes to The Maze; they think that there is a legitimate "exit." I'm not saying there isn't an exit, but I think my and their definitions of an "exit" differ significantly.

Nonetheless, it is quite amusing to watch as they travel from room to room, some paying attention to the clues and some who think they are "above" them. So far, no one has picked up on the central clue of The Maze yet. But alas, it has only been a mere fifteen minutes into the challenge. If they do, I do not expect any of them to figure it out yet. They need much more time.

And one of the most deceptive aspects about it is that time runs differently in The Maze than it does in the real world. A minute in The Maze is not equivalent to a minute in the real world. Time is somewhat warped, passing by slower in some rooms, and faster in others. Of course, none of them realize it. Even though in reality it has only been fifteen minutes, some feel like they have been in The Maze for hours and others feel like they have been here for only a minute or two.

I wonder how long it will take them to realize that they aren't in the real world anymore. That by simply being in The Maze, they are encapsulated in an anomaly of standard space, physics and time.

They usually do not. But for the ones who do, their reactions can be quite terrifying.