An iceling in mirkwood ~ thranduil love story

Legolas had hunted many times before out with his fathers hunting party. They would split up and hunt down different wild creatures, sometimes boars, sometimes a variety of wild birds, then they would all come together to compare each others findings. Legolas had always won, often bringing back a boar his horse could hardly carry. He trekked through the forest on his white horse, arrow notched in his bow and resting at his thigh. A crack of a stick caught his attention. He slowly slid of the horse's back and stroked its long nose, then ventured forward alone as the horse waited obediently. Legolas took graceful, calculated steps through the forest. His bow raised to his cheek, ready to let an arrow fly if anything should come near. He heard breathing, but not one of an animal. The unsteady breathing of a women, but not a human women. He slowly looked down at the ground to see the leaves on the forest floor had been forested with ice, as had the trees. This was a very strange affair, especially as summer had just began to bloom. As he ventured on the ice became thicker until he stopped in his tracks. He almost dropped his bow in suprisement. Lying on the ground at the foot of a tree either asleep or unconscious lay a women. Snow White hair and skin drained of colour. This women seemed to be the source of the ice that lay around the forest. She wore a simple white dress, covered in frost and snow. He whistled a high note and his horse came obediently to his side. The snow and ice crunched underneath his feet as he ventured forward to the women. He reached out and touched her neck, checking her pulse. Once he felt the slow beat of her pulse he picked her up and gently placed her over the horse and lead it forward....back to the palace.

There was a large amount of attention when legolas arrived with a mysterious young women on his horse, ice on the saddle

"She needs help, I found her in the woods" the prince said, sliding her off the horse gently as palace workers gathered around. She awoke as the prince held her.

"Where am I? Who are you?" She asked, fright in her tone. She stood by herself and backed away.

"You need not be frightened, I am only here to help" legolas said, trying not to sound stern. "You will need to speak to my father, the king of this land. You are on mirkwood land" legolas explained. The women said nothing but gripped the wood of a stable behind her. Instantly frost cascaded down the wood and ice made the floor slippery and cold. The young women looked down at her hands than brought them close to herself, as if protecting them.

The women was escorted to the kings chamber by guards to talk it the king. She looked around at the beautiful interior if the royal halls, thick vines twisted and wove together as she walked slowly. she was led to a large, grand door then down a long pathway to come to a platform with steps leading up to the king's throne.

Thranduil sat upon his throne, his staff in one hand and the other resting on the arm of his throne.

"I heard my son found you whilst out hunting" the king started. The women stayed silent, terrified out of her whit. She looked up at the king and they locked eyes for a few seconds before she looked down again. She was not sure where she was, who she was or what was happening but what she did know was that the male in front of her was important. Just by the arrogant look and luxurious clothing, she suddenly very self conscious being dressed in a simple white dress compared to his rich silks "Do you have a name?" He asked, raising an eyebrow as he enquired. Helke opened her mouth but no word escaped.

Apparently one of the guards found this disrespectful towards the king as he barked "The king asked you a question!" viciously. the women whined quitely and panicked at his words. Her powers were out of control. "Listen ice witch-" the guard said striding towards her

"No, please!" She said, putting her hand out to stop him coming any closer and shut her eyes, turning away. She expected a slap, a hit of some sort. But it didn't come. She looked to see the guard cut off from her by a wall of clear ice. She gasped and looked around, a wall of ice had circled around the white haired female, protecting her from any invaders. The ice started to melt and drip from the heat in the room and revealed the startled looking guard in the other side.

The king instantly recognised the powers, the strange look of the female, everything made sense. They were supposedly extinct from having their powers harvested by greedy orcs and dwarves. they were know as icelings when they were in the state she was, young and unable to control their powers. when their powers became under control and they had matured,they were known as icelings. this is also when they would have their powers harvested. they were dangerous creatures to be around, especially ones as young as the one in front of him. Their powers could become violent if they were in the slightest bit agitated or scared. But they were beautiful, with pure white hair and milky grey eyes. The king could see this from one look and it was the first time he found someone attractive since his wife had died. Icelings were not bore from their kin, they were born of the winter and the moon, legend said that when a harsh winters comes and iceling is created. They are immortal beings, the ice which runs through their veins freezes any disease, ageing processes or injuries.

"Impressive" said the king. She looked up to see his cool, calculating eyes on her whilst he smirked slightly. "Although, you seem to be unable to control this power and i will not accept such disgusting words towards a our guest" he continued, looking at the puddle that now surrounded her feet then to the guard that had spoken out. She looked down slightly embarrassed that he could read her so easily.

"What is your name?" He asked again. She froze for a second. A...name?

"I don't have one" She said shyly still not looking at the king.

"Whilst you are in my domain you shall be known as helke" he said, standing from sitting in his throne. "Guards, see to it that this little iceling does not leave mirkwood, she shall stay within the halls at all times" he said then added "take her to a room and see that she is treated well"

Helke was taken to a luxurious room with beautiful furniture and bedding and a window with a window seat. A kind, beautiful elf helped helke to re-dress into a white nightgown.

"We can take your measurements than start making some dresses for you tomorrow" she said kindly as she tied the strings of the dress in the front together.

"Thank you" she said quietly.

"My name is anerin and i am here to serve any needs you may have whilst staying here" she said, bowing her head slightly. "What are you?" Helke asked suddenly, seeing the oddly shaped ears of the female. She laughed and said "well I'm an elf. Well an elleth specifically. The mmales are elves" she explained.

"The king" asked helke.

"The elven king thranduil, he rules over mirkwood and the people in it" she said patiently. Helke sat on the bed and stroked the satin sheets with the palm of her hand.

"If you don't mind me asking m'lady how exactly did you end up in mirkwood forest?" Asked the elleth, watching the iceling.

"I don't remember much. I just remember being scared and tired and cold. It was so dark, I thought maybe I had died and forgotten my life before. I was so scared" the iceling said, griping the sheets. "I just lay there, I tried calling her help a few times but it just came out as horrible noise, so I lay there for days. That's when that man found me" said helke looking up to the elleth.

"Prince Legolas, the king's son" the elleth corrected. Helke nodded and took in all she had learnt.

"I'm scared anerin" said helke, her voice cracking slightly.

"Do not be helke, the king will see to it that harm will come to you when you are in his lands" comforted the elleth. After she was given a bowl of fruit for food she was left in the room alone to rest, she had been told that the next day she was to see the king.

As she lay in bed she thought. The only thing she remembered was that it had been dark the first time she opened her eyes. The ice around her. The trees that looked diseased. She closed her eyes and allowed darkness to consume her for the second time that day...