Chapter 15 ~ attack!

The king had only just sat on his throne when a guard entered, a familiar elleth and her chamber maid following him.

"My lord, princess kalwa of alkataure (meaning light woods)" introduced the guard as the princess stepped forward, a rather arrogant smirk on her face which she was trying to hide.

"Your highness, I wish to speak to you alone, if that is quite alright" she said, looking at the guard and her maid. The maid nodded but the guard looked up at thranduil who nodded and they both left, leaving the spoilt princess with the king.

"So princess, what has caused you to feel the need to come to me?" He asked, not taking his eyes off of her, he did not trust her.

"Well your highness, at first it was you son. I am rather fond of him you see but he does not return my feelings. Says another has his heart" he said fakery upset. The king saw through the act but merely tilted his head to the side in interest.

"Another elleth?" He questioned, he had never really seen his son interact with other elleth before except for the captain of the guards tauriel, and he certainly wasn't going to let him betroth her.

"I'm afraid not my lord" she said.

"A human?!" He asked in disgust and the princess laughed.

"Oh no my lord, your son would not stoop so low. I am afraid he is rather fond of the iceling that roams your lands, he tried to place affections upon her lips just this afternoon" he said almost smugly.

"Impossible, helke was in safely in my chambers" argued the king cooly.

"I do not lie your highness! I am afraid your son has fallen in love with the iceling..helke was it?" He asked and the king clenched his fists.

"You are over staying your welcome, kalwa of alkataure" said the king and calmly as he could and the princess curtseyed and walked out, a satisfied smirk on her face.

thranduil did not want to storm out and cause a scene so merely stepped calmly down from his antler decorated throne and went for a 'walk'.

He burst angrily into his chambers, making helke jump and causing the covers to frost over and her to drop the book she was reading.

"You' he growled angrily as he shut the doors behind him and stormed to her. Helke scrambled off of the bed, ice following her feet and she retreated in fear at the king's temper.

"You lied to me!" He accused angrily as he stalked up to helke.

"I do not understand-" she started but before she could finish her sentence the back of thranduil's hand connected with her soft cold cheek in a harsh slap.

"Do not play dumb with me iceling. I have been informed about your affair with my son. How long have you been laughing behind my back?!!" He bellowed but helke did not answer. Could not answer. She was in shock that her king, no, her lover had struck her.

"Look at me when I speak to you" he hissed and helke looked at the king with watery eyes.

"How long?" He snarled through bared teeth.

"I have not been unfaithful" she pleaded but he looked upon her with cold eyes.

"I shall decide your punishment once I talk to my son. You are to stay in this room under lock and key" he informed her angrily then stormed out and she heard him lock the door behind him before she fell to her knees and cried, trying to figure out what she had done wrong.

The king stormed out onto the archery ground angrily where he found his son practicing hard.

"LEGOLAS!!" He bellowed, making the prince jump, his arrow missing the target completely.

"Father" he breathed, covering his heart like he was recovering from a stroke.

"How long?" Asked thranduil, glaring down at his son.

"Sorry father?" Asked legolas unsurely, looking round for a hint of what thranduil was talking about.

"You. And. Helke" said the king angrily but quietly.

"Father- I did not mean to- she only-" but the prince stopped and calmed himself "How do you know?' He questioned sheepishly.

"That is none of your concern" growled the king in a low voice.

"Please father, do not punish helke. She is so young, she did nothing. It was all my doing, I am sorry. Lust has clouded my thoughts" he sighed guiltily, looking down. Legolas had not seen his father this angry since he was a young elfling.

"I see" started the king cooly, obviously thinking hard. "In normal situations traitors would be send to exile. As you are my son however I am giving you a warning legolas. You shall also be put on double duty" said the king firmly and Legolas lowered his head, not wanting to anger his father anymore. The king turned away but before he walked off he stopped and said "Legolas. I will not always take into consideration that you are my kin, next time the punishment will not be so light" and Legolas Bowed in acknowledge.

"And one more thing" he added and Legolas looked up. "Stay away from helke, she IS mine" then strode away and he left a shocked legolas behind. He never though his father would be so...primitive...with his own son?!

--->

Thanduil took a deep, calming breath before re-entering his chambers to see helke...oh dear lord. She had brought the baby elk up from the stable and onto the bed where it lay happily as she petted it. Her eyes were red and slightly puffy and he could tell from this that she had been crying. Soft, glimmering frost collected underneath her when she acknowledged the king's presence and he was deeply hurt to see that she felt frightened of him.

"Please don't hurt me" she squeaked quietly as she hiccuped and very sharp ice formed around her, scaring the baby elk.

"I am not here to hurt you helke, please relax" he said as he tried to get her to calm down. He walked towards her cautiously but she raised a hand quickly in defence and looked away in fear "no please!" She whimpered. It happened so fast the king hardly saw it happen. From helke's palms icicles jetted out and one impaled itself Into the king's forearm, instantly drawing blood from the deep wound. The wound was no ordinary wound, nothing like a stab from a sword and he could tell. he felt a cold, numb pain within his body, his very blood ached. The second the ice impaled his arm it had began melting, traveling into his blood stream, freezing him from the inside out. If he was not cured quickly, he would surely die in a mere half hour...