Prologue | The Things she Lost

It was dark and windy, the thick pine trees swayed in the wind, leaves rustling loudly, covering up the faint footfalls of a girl who didn't want to be heard

It was dark and windy, the thick pine trees swayed in the wind, leaves rustling loudly, covering up the faint footfalls of a girl who didn't want to be heard. A large silken cloak was covering the majority of her tiny body but underneath she donned a comfortable cotton shirt and trousers tucked into too-large hunting boots and a small sharp knife was clutched between her trembling fingers. It was cold out and the air smelt musty and damp. The dark clouds gathering in the sky threatened rain and she began to run faster so as to finish her task before the storm came.

The girl knew the wooded area around her house like the back of her hand and easily weaved through the dense trees, her grey eyes wide and alert. She knew that one wrong move could result in her death, her families death. Everything they'd worked towards, everything they'd achieved would be wasted on the actions of this girl and she knew that and embraced it. She knew she was strong, she knew she could face the beast her family had been tracking for generations. And now, finally, it was her chance to show her stubborn father her worth. Surely he'd let her go hunting with him after this, surely he'd stop treating her like a child. Like was was worthless, useless, a disgrace to the family name.

Her steady eyes scanned the horizon as she slowed down into a steady jog. She wasn't sure how long she'd bee running for but her breathing was beginning to lose its rhythm and her heart felt like it was going to explode out of her chest, both with exhaustion and anxiety. But she also knew that she couldn't go home empty handed. She had to bring back something or she wasn't sure what the consequences would be. Her father had been so sure she could do this and she wasn't going to fail him because she wasn't fit enough. No, she could do this. A five minute rest wouldn't hurt, she had plenty of time before the sun rose and all the shadows would slink away for another day.

She sat with her back against a tree, its wood was rough and dug uncomfortably into the back of her thin clothing. She groaned and pulled her cloak tighter around herself and rest her head on her knees, heart beating uncomfortably in her chest. Her legs ached from running and she was could feel that it was almost about to start raining. A thick layer of mist had passed through the woods minutes prior to resting and as she looked up she silently cursed to herself, hoping that she could still find her way on time. Stretching her sore muscles she set off once again through the winding trees that creaked in the strong wind and the mist that seemed almost opaque now.

With an angry grunt she started to pick up the pace. A drop of rain landed clumsily on her nose and dribbled down her cheek. She sped up into a fast jog, hoping she could still beat the rain. Her cloak wasn't waterproof, the fabric it was made of was expensive would get damaged if it got too wet. Her parents would surely punish her if she ruined it. Ignoring the bone chilling cold that had began to grow as the wind picked up, she maneuvered her way through the woods until she finally reached her destination. Well, part of it anyway. The fog had cleared up around the area and she could see the unnatural shadows lurking around the treeline of the clearing. Taking in a deep breath, she ran forward into the open and the shadows seemed to stop what they were doing to turn in her direction.