Try To Keep Your Mouth Shut This Time

Justin’s POV:

It’s good to kick back in one of my favorite places: the library. I’m an information junkie, or as my sister calls me, a nerd. She always says I’m gonna be voted most-likely-to-grow-old-and-die-alone. But if you ask me, she’s going to be voted most-likely-to-need-a-good-lawyer. I don’t care if people think I’m a nerd, if I want to get into a great collage someday I have to get good grades. And where better to get all the info you need to help with homework or a project. And this place has all the facts you need. Not just in books, but also all the computers.

 My sister and I were hanging out in our school library before first period, catching up on some reading. Or at least, I am. Danni was catching up on last night’s sleep. I was busy reading a book about global warming called Earth in Peril. I was focusing so hard on the words I was reading that I almost didn’t hear the bell ringing.

I looked up from my book and saw all the kids heading toward the exit. Next to me Danni was still fast asleep. I got up and quickly put away all my books into my backpack. I gave Danni a kick to her ankle to wake her up. She startled so big that she fell off the chair and onto the floor.

“Ow.” She groaned, looking confused at her surroundings for a minute, but then realized where she was and looked up at me, where I stood laughing. She glared at me.

“Don’t look at me like that.” I told her, trying hard not to laugh again. “It’s not my fault you fell.”

She got up and grabbed her bag. “I didn’t fall,” she said defensively while we headed for the exit. “The floor just needed a hug. And it was so your fault.”

“Was not.” I said playing dumb.

“Was so.”

“Was not.”

“Was so.”

“Was not.”

“Was so.”

“Was not.”

“Was so.”

“Was not.”

“Wait,” she said confused. “What are we talking about again?”

I rolled my eyes and just kept walking, ignoring Danni, that’s sometimes all you can do with her.

“Well, this it.” Danni said stopping in front of Mrs. Mason’s class. “Wish me luck.” She said sarcastic.

I chuckled. “Just try and keep your mouth shut this time.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’ll try, but I won’t like it.” With that she disappeared through the door.

 You see, the reason I told Danni to keep her mouth shut is because she and Mrs. Mason hates each other. Danni always ends up getting detention in her class. Usually I don’t mind, I’ve given up on trying to change her ways a long time ago. But today, I do mind.  It’s the last day of school, It ends today for summer vacation. Danni and I are gonna visit our Aunt Ashley, while mom and dad are going on their own little vacation to a resort in Tahoe. Which is why neither of us can afford to get detention, other wise, we’ll miss our flight and can’t say goodbye to mom and dad.

                                                *******************************

 After school I waited impatiently in the school parking lot for Danni.

Where is she? School came out fifteen minutes ago. I thought as I looked impatiently at my watch. Come on!

“Hey Justin.” Someone greeted from behind me. I turned around and saw a beautiful girl with green eyes and chocolate brown hair.

“Oh, um, hi Maddie.” I stuttered. I’m pretty sure I’m blushing too. Girls have that effect on me. I guess you can say I get a little flustered around them. Danni says I clam up like one of those Venus flytraps. Which is kind of true. Every time a girl talks to me or even look at me I turn to jelly. I have zero cool in situations like that.

“Waiting for Danni?” She asked, smiling a big, bright, beautiful smile.

“I, um, no, I mean, yes I am.” Oh real smooth Justin!

“Well, your gonna be waiting a long time.” She laughed.

“Why?” I asked confused. Maddie is one of Danni’s best friends and is almost in all of her classes. So if you want to know where my sister is, Maddie is the one to ask.

“Detention, what else?” She said, laughing.

“What? Great!” You ask my sister not to do something, and then she goes and do it. She always does the opposite of what she’s asked. “Mrs. Mason?” I guessed.

Maddie shook her head. “No, believe it or not, but she kept her mouth shut for once. This time it’s Mr. Graham.”

I sighed. “Um, okay. Thanks Maddie.”

“Your welcome.” I heard her call behind me, while I was on my way jogging to the entrance of the school. Once inside, I made my way to the detention room. I knocked on the door.

“Come in!” An old voice called from the inside.

I opened the door. Danni sat in the second row behind one of her other friends, Jason, her partner in crime. They looked like they were gonna fall asleep any moment. Not just them, but the other delinquents too. Actually, some of them are asleep. From what I’ve heard, detention sounds pretty boring.

“Hello Mr. Graham.” I greeted the old man behind the desk.

He looked up and readjusted his reading glasses. “Aah, Justin. My favorite student. What can I do for you?”

“Teacher’s pet.” Jason muttered. “Ow!” he cried out when Danni kicked him from behind. “Yo Danni. What was that for?” He asked turning to her.

“Only I get to call him that.” She said then turned to me with an apologetic look saying ‘sorry I got detention’. Jason was about to say something but Mr.Graham interrupted. “No talking!” he scolded and then turned back to me. “So, what can I do for you Justin?”

“Um, look sir,” I began. “I know whatever Danni did was stupid and that she probably deserves to be here, but we’re going to visit our Aunt in La Push, Washington for a while and if we don’t leave now we’re gonna miss our flight.” Unfortunately Mr. Graham didn’t look convinced.

“I don’t…”

“You have my word that at the beginning of next semester she’ll be right here in detention.” I gave the teacher the best ‘teacher’s pet’ smile I could manage.

The old man thought for moment then sighed. “Oh alright. But just because I know I can trust you.”

“Hey!” Danni said sounding offended. “Don’t you trust me?”

Mr. Graham opened his mouth to reply, but closed it again and turned back to me. “Like

I said, I trust you Justin.”

“Gee, thanks Mark.” Danni said sarcastic. Only she has the guts to call a teacher by their first name. “I’m just feeling the love.”   

 I shot her a look that said ‘shut the hell up’. “Thank you Mr. Graham.” I said before he could say something and grabbed my sister by the arm and dragged her out of the classroom.

“See ya suckers!” Danni called over her shoulder before I could completely drag her out the door. “Okay, what now?” she asked as if nothing happened. But there’s no time to lecture her now.

“Now we run.”