Zoning Out

Jeremy was doodling something in a notebook when you came in.

"O-oh, hey, Y/N." he hastily shoved his suspiciously anime-looking drawings under his pillow. "You, uh... still worried about this weekend?"

You shrugged one shoulder. You were more worried about him. 

The bruise on his face had died down a lot, and his eye was basically healed. But he stared at you, with tired eyes and ashen skin, and you weren't so sure he was really okay. The whole "cutting" reveal came to mind. And at the last visit, he seemed a little off.

"Me? I-- I'm fine. Just, uh, still in shock... from losing my leg... I guess."

You must have fallen asleep again, because you had to pry your face from the pillow. you wiped away the small amount of drool that had dribbled down the corner of your mouth with your blanket. Gross. Your hair was matted down on the side you had slept with. You looked around the room, (which was still coming in to focus,) confused as to why you had woken up. A fuzzy sound worked its way in to your ears. What could that be? The sound became progressively clearer, until you finally recognized it. It was ringing!

You jumped out of bed and sprinted to the kitchen, sliding on the smooth floor.

Fritz called.

You couldn't help but notice he seemed uncharacteristically enthusiastic. "Hahahahaha dude... guess what! Guess what I'm calling you on right now!"

What was he calling you on right now?

"A portable cellphone! I got a portable cellphone!"

Eh?! Those cost over $3000! What would he need one for, anyway? They're about as useful as bricks, having to lug them around! (They look like bricks, too.)

Fritz released a puff of air in to the speaker. "I dunno. I felt like it." He didn't sound like he had any regrets. At least he was confident in his decisions.

You picked up the phone, and offered an attempt at a "Hello." Though, in all of your sleep deprived glory, it sounded far more muffled than that.

"H-hey! Y/N."

Jeremy called.

"Were-- were you planning on visiting me, today? It's fine if you don't, though. Um, either way, Fritz  came and he helped me make a decision concerning the uh... my job. Or, uh, maybe I should say-- say previous job?"

Where exactly did he think he was going with this?

"Um... yeah. I quit."

There was the kicker. You were happy for him! Now if only he hadn't doomed you to at least another week of dealing with crazy animatronics. (You didn't say that part, though.)

One day, on a day you decided to take off, Mike invited you to breakfast with him. You sat in a cozy booth, a breakfast sandwich in front of you, a bagel in front of that, and a Mike in front of that.

You asked Mike how he handled the job, when he was working it. It had slipped your mind to ask previously.

"Ah, the nightshift. Yeah, sorry I couldn't work it anymore... I'm aware I kind of threw you under the bus. Oops. Just, Doll...--"

Yeah, you knew. And, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. You only had to work the weekend, with Scott offering to do the actual work week. Either way, you still wanted to know how Mike had fared.

"Oh. Uh, it was fun! Actually."

You were more than taken aback by that.

"It was honor to work it, too. I love that place; brings back a lot of... memories."

(No mention of the murderous robots?)

It had been a while since you've seen Scott any. Usually you would see him every day at work. Usually just ghosting around, rushing for paperwork or going backstage to check up on the animatronics. But during the days you had worked during the week, you hadn't seen him any. You passed it off as nothing, figuring it was only because he was working the graveyard shift. In forethought, it would make sense he wouldn't be working the normal hours as well.

More idle chatting ensued. Mike seemed really interested in what you had to say, and he really hadn't even touched his bagel by the time you figured you should leave. You asked him if he was going to eat it, and he simply pushed it towards you in response. You took that as a "no." 

Mike insisted on paying for the food, even though you thought it would be best you did, and then he asked you if you were doing anything else that day. 

No, you didn't really have any plans. 

You two ended up riding bikes through the park for the next three hours, and when it was all over and even starting to get a little cloudy, Mike asked you if you needed him to drive you home. When it started to rain, really your only option was to say yes.

On the way to your apartment, you fiddled a little with Mike's car radio. He didn't seem to object much, especially when you landed on Cherry Bomb and decided you liked the song enough to keep it on that station. 

Mike shot you a crooked grin. He yelled "This is my JAM!" and then before you could stop him, Mike sung himself out of breath until he was red faced and looking much like a cherry himself.

All in all, it had been a rather enjoyable morning.

"--the prosthetic is really weird to get used to, and now I have a sort of ugly limp, but I think I'm doing fine." You pretended that you had heard his entire sentence, and that you had definitely NOT zoned out for half the phone call.

Jeremy told you he would be out of the hospital with a brand new (fake) leg by tomorrow afternoon, and that he had already planned on going in for a job review for a brand new, better-paying job. Fritz had helped him find it, like he promised he would. He really was a good friend, you thought.

Jeremy said goodbye and you returned to your bed, your recently nocturnal-ized self taking no time to slip back in to a deep sleep.