Chapter Sixteen - New Island

ELEA'S POV

You throw yourself backwards barely in time and catch a long gash down your arm instead of dying.  Too injured to fight - that was your sword arm - you have no choice but to retreat and let others do the fighting.  You need to get to the medics.  As you retreat, you can hear shouts and swords being drawn, and then a whoosh of air as the dragon takes off again.

You also need to tell someone - probably the king - about the new dragon rider...

ZIRCON'S POV

"Hmph.  Lucky girl," Cierein mutters.  "Not worth chasing her now."  She smacks a building with her tail she flies past it, sending a large chunk of the roof down.

You're not completely sure you agree with this - these people might have done something to Lilac's colony, justifying them attacking Norrle, but you're fairly sure they never did anything to your own colony.

LILAC'S POV

The dragons are growing weary of flight, and physically exhausted.  You can't keep this up for much longer, but there's been no sign of another island since you left Zircon's colony's island.

Cheorviss, whom you are currently flying, is near the back of the group, so you can't really keep an eye out for other islands on the horizon.  This ocean doesn't have normal islands; all islands have been formed by dragons.  Most are likely inhabited, though there surely has to be a few like your former island where its inhabitants were forced to leave.

A dragon in the front - you think her name is Ilmas - shouts, "I think I see an island!"  As if everyone is reinvigorated by the hope of a new home, they start flying faster, though you still can't tell if the island is inhabited or not.

As the dragons in the front start descending, you can finally tell that the island is empty.  It's highly unlikely for every single dragon in a colony to be off the island at once, so the island is unoccupied.  It also looks big enough for your colony.

You've found a new home.